Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 12:48:42 -0800
>Give the ferret 20-30 chest compressions slowly and then place your mouth
>over their nose and mouth and blow once.  Repeat this method until the
>ferret starts to breathe.
>
>[Moderator's note: Please don't forget just how tiny ferret lungs are
>when you try to fill them with air.  Not to say you shouldn't do it...
>just be careful!  BIG]

I'm going to second BIG on this one.  I was taught how to do CPR and rescue
breathing for a human infant, and even for a human baby you have to be EVER
so careful.

I'd think you'd be running an enormous risk of bursting the ferrets's
lungs, and you would *without a doubt* fill the ferret's stomach up with
air...possibly to the point where you would risk bursting the stomach, too.
(Just a guess there, but anyone who has been trained in rescue breathing
can tell you why people almost always vomit after receiving rescue
breathing.)

Any wildlife rehabbers/vets want to comment on CPR/rescue breaths for
animals?

- Megan

--
Megan O'Shaughnessy, D.C.       | North Cascades Chiropractic Clinic
360-853-9023                    | Concrete, WA