Date:
Sun, 31 May 2009 07:19:28 -0700
I've tried a few things.

Rice, two ate it.

Potato starch packing peanuts.
One ate them like candy. Everyone's fur became dry as the peanuts took
the oils from the fur. I don't bathe them, only let them play in water
if they enjoy that.

I was going to try good potting soil.
*If* you can find one with out added fertilizers, pesticides, etc, I
learned of another danger yesterday.

At a Walk For The Animals I spoke to my ferret vets sister. She has a
bunny. The bunny at some time ingested potting soil while eating her
greens. The perlite in the soil caused nasty intestinal problems.

This stuff acted just like ground up glass in her tummy.

So, look for soil with out this stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perlite

So far the safest thing I've used is just a bunch of pieces of flannel
tossed into a big plastic storage container.

Bizzy, my old blind girl loves this, and can often be found there, fast
asleep.

Ardith