From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 02:41:28 +700
Debbie posted a very interesting idea that perhaps a guide to the better
guessing the age of ferrets by looking at their teeth would be a most
important tool for ferretdom.  Debbie has suggested that the teeth, the
dentition, of the ferret be photographed at various ages and thereby used
as a guide in establishing the approximate age of the ferret.

I think this is a wonderful idea.  It's an idea that I've held for some
years now, ever since I was in discussion with Mr. Bob Church, aka Ruprecht
Kirche, some few years ago on this mailing list.  After examining several
ferret skulls I was interested in determining if there was any interest in
establishing a measurement standard or aspect ratio of the ferret's
dentition and the establishment of a specific number, the dental aspect
ratio, that would essentially define the maturity of a ferret as a function
of its upper and lower jaws.

To start such a study by means of photography, say 4 shots of the jaws,
as left and right dental profiles, a front aspect, and a 4th shot of the
ferret with its jaws wide open, as in a full yawn, would be very difficult.
And I'm not certain that the results would be all that informative, since
the skill required by the photographer would have to be very, very great.
Lighting and shadows would be almost impossible to control.  Especially on
a struggling, hyperactive kit, for example.

What I would like to do is to take the photographs of deceased ferrets
only, and possibly within the shortest time after death as possible.  This
I can do here at the shelter from time to time as ferrets pass on, but
only with ferrets of proven and documented ages.  And preferably with some
background as to their diet and other factors.

Of course, the value of such photographic documentation is in direct
proportion to the number of ferrets photographed as well as the number of
progressive photographs taken of the same ferret throughout its life span.

Here's what I'd like to request of the ferret community as a means of
achieving meaningful results in the shortest time possible.  That is to
send to my vet the remains of your recently deceased ferret by way of your
local vet.  I could only receive ferrets of a precisely known birthdate
along with other information.  It would be preferable for the owner to
bury or cremate the ferret remains in a proper and fitting manner prior
to instructing the vet to send only the ferret's dentition; i. e., the
ferret's head only.  The head would be treated with respect and honor, and
if desired by the donor, could be returned to the owner for disposition in
a manner desired.  Otherwise the skull would remain here at F.E.R.R.E.T.S.,
NorthWest, permanently identified and logged into our scientific collection
(only have 3 now) for future studies that may evolve as a consequence of
this dentition study.

I sincerely hope that this rather unusual request will not meet with
acrimonious responses, but rather will be accepted as an honest and serious
attempt to really benefit all future ferrets yet unborn.

I look forward to your thoughtful and serious cooperation in this effort.
Please help me.  Thank you.

Edward Lipinski of Ferret Endowment for Research, Rehabilitation, Education
& Training Society, NorthWest.