From:
erica j peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:45:54 -0500
Dear All,

My 4 1/2 year old fuzzy had a bilateral adrenalectomy last Sept, from which
she seemed to have recovered well.  But the lab said the right gland had
carcinoma, extending to the edge of the removed section, so we knew the
cancer might still be in Rosie.  At her yearly exam, yesterday, her vet ran
a blood workup, and he let us know that her ALT enzyme was at 343, which is
apparently way higher than normal, and way higher than her September number
(176).  The vet says this could be a sign of a liver problem, including the
possibility that the cancer has spread to the liver.  We're going in to
have an ultrasound done, at which point he'll give us more of an idea of
possible prognoses and what his recommendations are.

I've looked on the net, but there's not much info on liver diseases, so I
thought I'd ask here for advice regarding liver disease in general, cancer
in the liver, and general thoughts on surgery vs. medicine in older ferrets
who have already been through one serious surgery.  (The one in September
was hard on Rosie, and I'd rather not put her through that again if it's
likely to only give her an extra month or so.)

Thanks in advance,
Erica