From:
Alexandra Sargent-Colburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 15:57:52 +0000
Dust Mix:
1 Cup flour
1 Teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 Teaspoon salt

Sauce :
1/2 Cup honey
1/4 Cup BBQ sauce of your choice
1 Teaspoon minced garlic
Hot sauce to taste

6 Chicken Wings
1/2 cup lard

Begin by melting lard (and it NEEDS) to be lard in your heaviest frying
pan. Cast-Iron is best. Coat wings in the dust mix, shake well.

If you dip a cube of bread in the hot lard and it starts to bubble and
brown, but not carbonize, gently slip wings into pan. I use the "Medium
Low" setting on my electric stove. Be careful. You don't want to get
splattered.

Arrange wings in pan, cover with a ceramic plate that fits inside the
pan to press the wings down to the frying surface. Cover with your
tightest cover. You want to keep turning them every five minutes until
nicely browned, about 20 minutes. The trick is to fry them slow, high
heat won't get you anything.

When they are completely browned and the juice does not run pink inside
(you'll have to cut one apart to test) spoon sauce mixture all over the
side facing up. Wings do seem to have a top side and and under side.
Spread the sauce on the top side. Put the lid back on for another five
to ten minutes, but do not use the plate as a press anymore. The sauce
will caramelize on its own.

Transfer to a plate and let cool down. They are even better after a
night in the fridge.

The next morning, put one on a small plate on your kitchen counter.
Turn around to make coffee. Turn back to the plate, it will be empty.
You will think you have some sort of incipient dementia. You get
another wing from the fridge. You will just be starting on it when
you start to hear the crunching noise from beneath the sofa.

One wing apparently serves one ferret who was raised eating chicks.

Alexandra in MA

Caff-Pow: "Uncle Todd, can I get a beer with that?"
Todd: "You're three months old!"