From:
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 16:34:05 -0700
>From:    "Nancy L. Silvernale" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: My turn with hair loss

We've only had one case of adrenals with our own ferrets.  This jill is a
Marshall jill that is now approaching six.  Dr. Kawasaki in Virginia did the
operation almost three years ago.  Well worth what it cost.  We know lots of
good ferret vets but highly recommend Dr. K since he is a really good friend
and neighbor.  We don't hesitate to use or recommend Drs.  Weiss, Slack or
Wardell who are also in our metro area.

Find one of the experienced surgeons that can make the diagnoses for sure
and don't hesitate to help your ferret as you can afford.  Don't know your
area but some folks bring their ferrets from across the whole Eastern US to
the DC area to see one of these vets who are more experienced.

This brings up..

>From:    War Machine <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Answers to questions and references
>If anyone in Maryland needs a Good - Top Notch Vet - Let me know and I
>will get you in.  He is Dr. Meissol, Gratuated from O.S.U.

What part of Maryland?  If he's local to the DC area I'd really like to meet
him.  Same school as Dr. Kawasaki if I remember correctly.

>From:    Fran Wiles <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Answers to posts

Hi Fran!  You don't write nearly enough but we know how crowded your shelter
is so we fully understand.  Glad to have one of the teachers we've learned
the most from here as often as you can write.  Very good information.

>Andrea - Unfortunately all ferrets do not get along.

Very good response.  We have to separate out older folks more often than
younger folks.  So far we've been lucky enough to not get in ferrets than
couldn't tolerate ferrets in the same room even if they couldn't tolerate
them in the same quarters.  We will let the younger ones "work it out" short
of drawing blood in our own ferrets if they are young but don't force the
issue on shelter or older ferrets.  Separation by age group is part of the
process.  If Oliver who was the start of the topic is given enough time to
adjust I suspect he'll eventually do fine with a buddy.  But an adult and a
kit that young might need only some time together until the kit gets more
adult in age and manners that could mean separate sleeping quarters for
months.  I've adopted ferrets that I was told "had to be alone" and
"wouldn't get along with other ferrets", with enough time they WANTED other
ferrets and prefered NOT to be alone.

>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: responses
>I have heard that other breeders use their own set of tatoos, not just MF.

There are some private breeders who have their vets tatoo those ferrets that
are altered.  This is usually a matter of convenience and at the discretion
of the vets.  Shelters find it useful to more readily identify whether a
ferret is altered or not.  Adult hobs are easily recognized as neutered so
it is not hard to identify them.

Path Valley doesn't tattoo at all that I know.  Hagen does "H"s that often
look like "X" or "Y" as the ferret grows from what I've heard.  Makes them
the Canadian ranch you were asking about.  MF is the largest to utilize them.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets