From:
Cheryl Langfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:42:39 EDT
Hello, I recently (Friday) went through my first ferret surgery.  My
ferret Lucy is 13 months old and she had her left adrenal gland removed.
So far, she has been doing okay.  She has a lot of energy by now and I
trail her around as she walks around the room, she's already trying to
get into trouble so I have to follow her closely.  However, I am alittle
worried.  Since the surgery I have been giving her chicken or turkey baby
food mixed half and half with water and she has not touched her kibble
food since the surgery.  I leave it available for her at all times.
Also, her poops have been very dark and liquidey, I spoke with the vet
and we are going to try Pepcid A/C for a couple days before looking into
an ulcer.  This just occurred immediately following the surgery and they
have not gotten better.

I really don't want her to become addicted to the baby food since I am
going away next weekend for two days, I really couldn't expect my pet
sitter to feed her 3-4 times a day.  Of course I also just naturally
don't want her to become addicted to the kibble.  Today I waited nine
hours between feeding her and she did not touch the kibble in her cage-
I could see that none had been broken since I only left about 15-20
pieces in the bowl.

Other than her poops and lack of interest in kibble, she is okay, her
energy is totally rebounding.  She eats between 1/2-1 whole jar of baby
food each time I feed her, which was about 4 hours apart but now I am
trying to spread it out much more.

Please help, this is my first surgery I have gone through and I am
becoming worried!

Cheryl