From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 22:28:43 -0400
I have six ferrets: Luthe, Brownie, and Duncan in one cage and Wicket,
Tallie, and Hobbes in another, which happens to be a Ferretrail Kingdom cage
by Superpet.  Hobbes is the most recent arrival, adopted from Ferret Wise.
He's a year-old chocolate blaze who happens to be deaf.  Sometimes deaf
ferrets are a little slow, but not this one.

Hobbes has a new trick.  It's called "Get out of the cage while leaving the
door still latched".  He invented it this morning.  Their cage has a door
that opens inwards and uses springy hooks to close it.  A determined ferret
who pulls at the door enough can stretch the springs enough to eventually
get his nose in the opening and then the rest of the body, even if it is a
lard-butt, will follow.  I was vacuuming the bird room (yup, I have birds
too) and kitchen while this was going on and then decided to have an english
muffin.  So I'm standing there putting it in the toaster when I hear some
mysterious rustling coming from the pantry-storage room.  I thought some
mice had gotten out of their cage (yup, I have mice as well) when Hobbes'
face appeared in the doorway.  The cage was still nicely latched shut, but
there he was.  Wicket and Tallie said he teleported like a good FLO
operative should, but I think it was just brute force.  So now I have some
extra fasteners on the door to keep it closed tighter.  I still like the
cage and would recommend it but you may want to remember this story and
make sure the door can't be pulled on too easily.  Maybe I should call him
Houdini instead of Hobbes.  This ferret may be deaf, but he ain't stupid.

Karen
for you are crunchy and taste good with Ferretone.
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html