Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 22:52:30 -0700
Corynne,

I haven't been on the list much lately so didn't see your post earlier.
However I will tell you my experience with one of my ferrets and ear
sucking.

Bilbo started sucking on his cage mate, Frodo's ear last April.  It got to
the point Frodo looked like he had blood blisters on the ends of his ears.
I put medicine on them and finally put him in the other cage with some of
the other ferrets.  They weren't happy, but I had to protect his ears.
Both of these ferrets at the time were 4 years old and around that time
they both started losing fur, which developed rather rapidly.  They both
came from a breeder in Canada.

The first Monday in May Bilbo had his surgery and it proved his right
adrenal was malignant.  So his time may be limited but he is doing fine
at the present time.  Frodo had his surgery two weeks later and his left
adrenal was malignant but my vet was able to remove the entire gland.

Twelve weeks old is very young to have adrenal, but it may still happen.
If it was my ferret I wouldn't wait, I'd get him in just to have him
checked.  Spike could have just been weaned too early and is using Daisy
as a pacifier.  But it won't hurt to have him checked by a ferret
knowledgeable vet.

Best of luck and hope Spike gets a clean bill of health, and Daisy's
ears survive.

mjo and the zoo (Lady Star, Topanga, Ragine, Bilbo, Frodo, Frito,
Pepper, & Caesar and the dogs Garth and Darwin......r.i.p.  PHANTOM,
Nipper, EZ, Lightning, Cleo, & Duke)