Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 20:08:11 -0500
Dear Sandee:

Please keep an eye out for Jake.  He may be a bit disoriented at first,
and he may need someone to whisper in his ear that "Everything's O.K."!
He was ill for so long that he might have forgotten what it's like to
have all his fur, to be able to run without the big belly, and to be able
to enjoy 'Furo-Vite' & Cheerio's again.

Jake is a pretty stoic and adaptable guy, so he may not let anyone know
that he prefers to sleep in 'Polar fleece', sometimes spending 10 minutes
scratching, digging into, and pulling the top over him, to get the
bedding 'just right' ... adjusting every fold so that he has a perfect
'bowl' to sleep in!  I could always tell when he was feeling comfortable
& mostly well ... I would reach in to find him in the 'inverted ferret'
position ... curled into a coil, on his back, with paws & zipper belly
into the air!  It always amazed me how he could sleep like that, not the
position but the temperature!  It always seemed that his temp was 120
degrees inside that bed, but (when I reached in) he would usually just
re-adjust himself with a slight sigh and return to slumber.

Please show Jake where the rubber toys are, he enjoys small balls,
particularly with bells inside.  If someone has opposable thumbs, please
put a bell inside the smallest size 'Kong' toy?  Big enough so it won't
come out & choke anyone, but so it will make enough of a noise?  Then
step back 'cause he'll go after it with a mission!!  He'll show his true
ferret heritage, grabbing & shaking it about his head ... then pouncing
on top ... with his forepaws clutching the thing ... only to spend
inordinate amounts of time dragging it 'backwards', around and around, in
circles without end!  Many times I wished to have his dedication to duty!

Oh ... please apologize to Jake for the small bald spot between his
forepaws, just below his chin.  He'll remember ... the place where I
snuggle him, inhaling his wonderful 'stink'.  And apologize for the
missing whiskers.  Please let Jake know that he'll shortly be fully
covered in the amazing cinnamon fur that first drew me to him.  Jake's
chin & neck is the only place where he still has any fur.  After Jake
passed over, I didn't know that Dr. Greg was going to do this, but he
sent me a beautiful little soapstone box containing a bit of Jake's fur &
a few whiskers.  And I was floored when it became apparent that these
tokens still carried his scent ... Jake always had the scent of
'ferret-musk' with a hint of 'leaves in autumn' ... I refuse to believe
anyone would continue to declare that 'ferrets stink' if they had the
pleasure of inhaling Jake's scent.

BTW: I also have to say that Dr. Greg (and everyone at 'All Creatures Vet
Hospital') are some of the most wonderful, empathic, and dedicated animal
stewards on the skin of this planet!  Despite numerous revisits &
telephone calls, sometimes seeing Jake every 2 weeks, two surgeries,
count-less pills & special diets, and finally in the middle of the night
to help Jake pass over ... these folks never gave up!  They always
treated Jake in a manner which was professional, in a manner that
conveyed concern, respect and perseverance.  Without exception, the
receptionists, vet techs, & Dr's Greg & Doreen seemed to experience
a similar joy (as I did) when Jake grew some fur, or sadness when he
showed signs of decline.  And they never gave up ... Doc Greg reviewed
the information I gave him (BTW: from resources discovered on this
List!), he listened to my 'lay person's' understanding of hormones &
such ... and he didn't hesitate to contact Dr. Bruce Williams when I
suggested!

Sandee ... please pardon my ramblings.  I guess I had much to say about
"Jake" ... "Jake-E-Boo"; "Jacob Marley"; "Stink-E-Butt"; "Old-Man";
"Fur-less One" (and many more!!!).  To paraphrase something I once read;
"Not only socks do they steal ... Ferrets will steal your Soul".  Jake:
Your body didn't work for you anymore ... Now you are whole again.  Look
out for Jesse and Lucy (the Cat) ... I hope to see all of you when I find
out what 'lies behound the other side of the door' you always scratched
at.!!

Garry