From:
Shannon Venis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 14:31:05 EDT
Hi guys!!  I have a rescue story for you that I hope will give you some
laughs and make you smile.  It is a little long though....

Two weeks ago a lady we'll call D.  brought me one of her three ferrets.
She said that three was too mnay so they would be keeping the two that her
family liked the best.

The ferret she brought to me is a large MF Albino male.  He had no name,
had had no vaccinations, and had fleas.  She also brought me his cage,
which was infested with roaches.

I sent her back home with one of my 2 level cages as a loaner for her other
two ferrets and a huge stack of information about ferrets and how to care
for them.

One week to the day later she called me again.  Asked if I knew of anyone
who would buy her Sable ferret.  I asked why she had decided to get rid of
this one and she said that he would not use the litter pan and she was sick
of having to clean the cage every day.  She thinks that she should only
have to clean the cage out about every 4 days.  I suggested that maybe
since this is a pretty large ferret that he wouldn't use the small corner
pan she had because it was too small for him.  She was unwilling to spend
the $8.00 on another pan to see if he would use it.  So, I offered to take
him for a week to see if he would use a big square high back pan and she
agreed.  She was supposed to bring him the next day.  She never showed up
or called.

Finally about 3 days later she called and said that she had decided she was
not a ferret person and wanted to sell both of her remaining ferrets and MY
cage!!  She'd sell it all for $50.00.  Then she also told me that she was
out of food (had been feeding store brand cat food) and was feeding them
Bandit treats.  I offered to bring her some food and she refused.  Finally
I told her that I knew someone who might buy them and I'd contact them.
Then I told her that if she was out of food and no longer wanted to care
for them she could bring them to me and I'd find them a new home.

I didn't ever hear back from her.  Finally I called her on Friday night.
She told me she had sold both ferrets and my cage to a local petstore for
$100.00 Needless to say I was furious and asked her which store.  She told
me and I wanted to sit down and cry then.

She sent these loveable guys to a HORRID place.  Ferrets are kept in 10
gallon aquariums, on pine shaving, so many ferrets in the one tank that
they have no room to move, and they are all filthy from being in their own
waste.  The owner of this store puts sick puppies and kittens in a basement
kennel and leaves them there with no medical care until they die.  He is
just an awful person.  So, my devious brain went to work.  How could I get
these ferrets away from this man?

So, I called him and told him that D. had adopted the ferrets from me and
had signed a contract stating that the ferrets would be returned to me if
she could not keep them and that I wanted to come pick up the ferrets and
my cage.  He said "Not my problem".

I asked him to give me the ferrets and the cage back and I would repay
what he paid D for them.  He said he'd think about it and call me back.
I waited until after noon on saturday and he never called.  So I called
him....

Finally he said that if D called him and told him the ferrets did belong
with me, then I could come get them.  But he reminded me he was being very
nice doing this as he could make a ________of a profit off of them.  Now,
there was no way that D.  was gonna call this guy.  This is where the
ferret Angel comes in.....

Debi - or WeaselWoman from here on the FML is going to adopt two of the
three fuzzies that belonged to D.  I had already called her last night and
told her what D had done with the fuzzies.  I called her again and told her
what the store owner said and that there was no way that D would call if
I asked her to.  So guess what?  Debi called and pretended to be D.  She
listened to this man use foul language and swear at her, listened to him
call the babies "things", and then convinced him to turn over the ferrets
and the cage to me in return for the $100.00 that he paid for them.  WAY
TO GO DEBI!!!!

So, I am picking them up this afternoon and Debi will coming here tomorrow
to take two of the three home wit her.  Thanks so much Debi for helping
me!!  My heart is much lighter knowing that we did at least save these
ferrets from this man and his store.

Debi or I will post soon and let you know how the pick up and her adoption
went!!!