From:
Russell Prater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 11:09:47 -0600
>From:    Sarah B <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Rat Tail, and Insulinoma
>
>Hey everyone!  Moritz has rat tail... I think...the hair on the end of his
>tail is really thinning out and he has little black dots on it.  What can
>we use that's safe for them to get rid of it?  Also we're going to try to
>take Mischief to the vet hopefully tomorrow if Dr Stephenson is in.  I
>hope she is.  I'm glad to hear you have Eppy home again Donna!

I have believed for some time that the blackheads are caused by some kind
of organism, probably a mite.  Booger had rattail since last Jul and I
tried all the acne products with no real effect.  Then I tried ivermectin,
still with no real effect.  Finally I read how Revolution goes thru the
skin into the blood stream then comes back to the skin thru the follicles.
Since those blackheads block the pore so there is no way for anything to
get down into the follicle, I figured maybe something that came UP thru
the follicle would get whatever was causing it.  I talked to my vet about
it and bought a 3 month Puppy & Kitten pack of Revolution.  I applied it,
0.1 ml or half a tube, to each of my ferrets.  Their itchiness decreased
in 3 days to only about 1/10 what it had been.  I guess they had mites
crawling over their bodies which were causing the itchiness.  The
blackheads on Boogers tail began to just wipe off each time I washed it.
After a week, he had no more blackheads, just a nice clean pink tail.
We are now just waiting for the hair to come back.  Though it is more
expensive than Advantage, I intend to use Revolution from now on and
hopefully prevent any more rattail in my group.  One thing you would need
to watch for, if your crew has been on heart worm preventative, fine.  If
they have not been on heart worm preventative, you probably need to get a
heart worm test before beginning to use Revolution.  Once you begin using
it, you wont need any other heart worm preventative, or flea, tick or ear
mite meds.

--
Russ, Booger, Bonnie & Clyde

URA Redneck if most of your family have appeared on "Cops".