From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:09:36 -0400
Well, Bill Gruber very sweetly helped me stay up through much of the
night bu sending me e-mails to keep my brain going.  (Bill, "Maquis"
as used for the name of the French Resistence fighters in WWiII comes
from something in Corsica but I am too exhausted to figure oout form
the desrioption if ti is the rocky outcroppings or the a type of bush
growigtn in those outcroppings but which ever one it is is considered
pretty much indestructible,hence the name.)  Steve manages about 4 hours
of sleep while I could handle her needs alone.  I guess I went to bed
close to 6 and Steve left around 7 with her to the vet's hospital and she
is there now for observation and the trying of different meds.  I'll get
more sleep later but right now my body insists on bieng awake so I got
about 4 and 1/2 hours of sleep.

She had her fever roller coaster and had more spikes.

Here is what she taught us: a pulled out IV on maintenance level for a
ferret casn remain hidden.  We were required to turn up her IV to double
the maintenance rate when her body temp dropped ad the result was that at
3:30 in the morning I noticved that her bandaging tape over it was wet
and had to wake Steved since getting it apart is not a one person job and
he needed to manage her head while I removed the tape.  So, we think that
her spiking was because her IV meds were just going into her bandaging
because she'd apparently removed her IV.  At 3:30 in the morning we were
removing the tape, and yep, it was completeely out and not even bleeding.
Her IV meds weren't getting to her; no wonder hse fevered.

So, today we get some rest whenever our bodies let us crash and she gets
observed at the hospital.

The other leessone was about howe NOT to reduce a fever when a ferret
is spiking (room temp water onbody) and how to actually do it
(rubbing alcohol wiped onto paws).  That is mentioned more int he FHL
now but I'm too tired to writed more.