Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:43:00 -0500
if anyone has suggestions for more puzzle solving toys, I would love
to hear about them.  here's a site where I've gotten a couple of toys:

http://clickerpets.stores.yahoo.net/boredombusters1.html
(accessed from http://www.clickertraining.com/store/?item=dogtraining)

I have bought 2 toys from them, the Dog Pyramid, which I realized the
ferrets won't be able to use at all and gave it to a family with a dog,
and the Mini Buster Food Cube. the ferrets were not able to use the
Buster Mini Cube initially, because it was too hard for them to turn
the cube, they basically push it and it slides.. I made it easier to
turn by tying some rope around the cube so each side is balanced on 4
strands of rope, making it much easier. I cut up n-bone chews and put
them in it. and they have to turn it over quite a few times before a
treat will fall out (unlike treat balls). most of my guys have figured
it out now, although sometimes it takes too long and they just decide
its not worth the bother.

I also like the idea of the dog brick that's on the website, but at
$40+ I will probably try and build something myself... I also had
bought a toy toaster and rigged it so that the ferrets push a button
and treats will shoot out of the toast slots, but none of my guys have
figured it out yet...

I have 2 areas where I keep their food, and I alternate so sometimes
they have to climb to the top of the cage to eat, other times the food
is just in a bowl on the floor..

the best enrichment is probably still taking them out for a walk,
though..

there are more toys I'll like to build for them, but need to find the
time for it..

Selina