From:
Cynthia Obrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 15:06:44 -0400
I have two of the Marshall playpens and one set of the Add-on Panels (3
separate panels).  I use them with kits, or to isolate a new or sick
ferret.  Each playpen has eight panels, 18 inches wide x 29 inches tall.
All the panels are attached to each other with a sort of hook and loop
connector.  Two panels are left un-attached to make for an opening.  One
panel has a round loop.  The other panel has a hook that is straight so
it can be inserted into the loop.  It is disconnected just by lifting up
the panel with the hook end out of the side with the loop.  The Add-on
Panels are like this also, with each one connecting separately.  To keep
my extra panels from coming disconnected accidently, I used those plastic
computer/electrical tie-outs they use to tie cords together.  You get it
on at the right angle and pull tight and it'll keep them from coming off
(if that's what you want) and they still bend.

Ok, the great thing about the playpen, in my opinion, is that it bends at
each panel, so you can form any shape you wish, not just a circle.  Mine
is so large, I can form small alcoves working around furniture, and make
CORNERS (we all know how much we need those), and still use a semi-circle
where I'm able.  They fold up very small.  One full playpen is maybe six
inches thick if folded up and secured with the plastic-tie outs or bungee
cords.  They go up and down very quickly.  I also found that a cheap
vinyl tablecloth from K-Mart or Walmart was perfect for fitting totally
under the playpen and protecting the floor.  Just pick the size that fits
the shape you choose and the overall size you choose to make your
playpen.  They have tablecloths in circles, squares, and rectangles, some
quite big.  If small children are around, it's a good idea to anchor the
playpen to something solid in a spot or two, just to keep it from being
"scooted" around.  Again, bungee cords, electrical tie-out cables, and
cheap, utility caribiners (not the rock climbing quality) are all helpful
here.  You may also want to place a blanket between the wires of the
playpen and whatever you're anchoring it to, just in case scratches are
undesirable.

None of my five full-grown fellows can climb out unless there's something
inside the playpen that's tall enough to use as a step ladder.  I use a
utility caribiner (from hardware store) to secure the "gate" to forestall
any clever attempts to learn to open it.  I can also have two gates if I
like, given my multiple playpen layout.  I mark the gate panels with
colored tape to make them easy to spot.  That way you can leave any
semi-permanently attached add-on panels attached when it is folded up,
and identify the gate quickly when you open it up again.

I throw in a comforter or two, a tent and a couple of beds, hang a water
bottle & food container on the playpen wire (use the attachable kind),
and set up a litter corner with plastic carpet runner in the whole corner
area & a litter box.  Works great.  They won't like being inside bars at
first, but they'll get used to it and be happy to be nearer to you.  They
may even take a nap!  And, then your fuzzies are nearby where you can
cuddle them, check on them, or monitor conditions.  I'm a playpen fan!

Just my $100 worth !

Cindy O. & the snoozin' bunch of five