From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 11:37:38 -0500
What stands out to me on this issue is that some shelters that breed do not
give adequate time or care to each individual ferret.  I'm not pointing any
fingers at anyone but I do personally know of several in this position.  The
ferrets that are adopted or sold are not trained in social graces including
biting and bathroom behavior.  If you have too many ferrets, whether
breeders or shelter, to properly care for, train, and love them - then you
plainly have too many ferrets and should reconsider what you are doing.  If
you can afford the time, stress, finances of caring for each individual as
he/she truly deserves then I have no objections.  If you have been unable to
sell some of your previous years results of breeding ferrets and these poor
unfortunate innocent ferrets are sitting in cages year after year, then you
should not be breeding at all.  Do the shelter ferrets that were once
beloved companions just sit in cages as well?  How much suffering should
these ferrets endure at the hands of shelter/breeders?  Please stop and
think about what you are doing.  I ask this out of love for all ferrets
whether they be breeder or shelter ferrets.

The other issue is funds.  Are donations being used for only shelter ferrets
or are they used for both or just breeders?  Do you push to sell your
breeders and not the shelter ferrets?  Are your kits being bought while
shelter ferrets sit in the cages day after day, week after week, month after
month?

For those that are loving responsible shelter/breeders - does one bad apple
spoil the bunch?  In some peoples minds, yes.  Can you police your own?
What about forming a committee that can be used to report complaints and to
send investigators?  I certainly don't have answers to the problem but can't
someone do something to help the suffering breeder/shelter ferrets that are
in the hands of those that can't provide the proper love and care?  (I know
there are probably bad shelters out there too so this section would apply to
both.)

As for distribution, my home is about equally divided with ferrets that are
from MF and the other half came from breeders.  I'm seeing an equal number
coming in from both sources in our area.

Pre-ECE we opened our home to anyone that wanted to visit.  Sharing a home
with a large number of ferrets and providing the care and love each needs is
possible with a little effort.  I changed my lifestyle to accommodate the
ferrets.  I choose to do so.  I do not breed.  I choose not to.  I know what
I am doing is right and benefits any ferret that crosses my path.  I know I
am 'helping' ferrets and not 'harming' them, however, my heart aches for
those innocent souls that are in the hands of others that are only concerned
with money or stature.  Why would anyone want to harm such a joyful loving
creature?  Keeping ferrets confined to a cage and not giving them the
socialization they crave is extreme torture.  Not providing the proper
medical care, nutrition, sanitation (cleaning litter boxes and cages daily,
etc.) is abuse.

Please, I beg you to think about what you are doing and if you are not
'helping' ferrets then please reconsider what you are doing and how you can
change.

If you must flame me, please don't clutter the fml - send directly to me,
but remember, what I said was for the love of ferrets and not meant to hurt
anyone.

Hugs to all. tle