From:
Bill Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 08:19:38 -0500
OK, some people will certainly disagree with me, but, I think people are
overreacting a bit to this cartoon.  It is entertainment.  And comedy that
does not make fun of something or someone is usually not funny IMHO.
Entertainment as a whole (drama, comedy, etc.  .  .  ) must have some sort
of compelling conflict as its theme.  Was debating the movie Fargo last
night (my fav movie of last year) with someone from Minnesota who did not
like it, felt it was making fun of people from there with the exaggerated
accents, etc.  I said that almost all entertainment includes caricatures and
exaggeration to make a point.  Kinda ironic this morning; I pulled the
page-a-day Far Side calendar page for today, and here is the cartoon:

2 cats holding a Whitman chocolate sampler-like box.  In the box are
obviously little furry animals.  One of the cats is pointing at the box and
saying: "these little ones are mice ... Theses over here are hamsters ...
Ooh!  This must be a gerbil!"

Anyway, as insensitive as I might be; It's only a cartoon, and there actually
is some truth to it.  What ferret owner hasn't had a little difficulty trying
to extricate a finger, ear, nose, or god forbid, any other anatomical part,
from the mouth of a fuzzbut?

Enough about that, My wife brought over her two fuzzies to meet my two
fuzzies yesterday for the first time (obviously we are not together now, but
she read this, so I must be careful :-} ) Hers are about 9 and 5 months old,
mine are almost 9 weeks.  It went quite well in that no blood was shed
(human or fuzzies) And they really exhausted themselves and 3 of them
collapsed together to sleep it off.  All in all a great time was had by all.

Thanks if you made it this far. Gotta go , my fingers hurt.

Bill, Janey and Thorn