From:
Veronica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:24:26 -0800
Thank you to all responded to my email on the rabies vaccination
question.  I wish I had asked earlier though so I could actually read
the responses before getting there and not after I get home.  It was
almost a disaster.

Roo - 1.17 lbs.

Bandit - 1.55 lbs.

Oddball   1.20 lbs.

All vaccinated for rabies and distemper and over-all checkup was very
healthy.

Bandit had a reaction to the vaccine!  More than half-way home from the
vet who does my exotics and ferrets (I live 73 miles from there), Bandit
started having bloody diarrhea.  I only waited 10 mins not listening to
my better judgment or the others who have said to wait at least a half
an hour.  The vet said most reactions come on after about 10 mins so he
should be fine to go home.  I didn't feel comfortable with that, but went
anyway.  He was also lethargic just laying on the bottom of the cage
carrier, slightly panting.  I called the vet from a gas station with 3
mins left on my phone card and she said he needed to be seen.  I couldn t
get back there for at least an hour so asked to go to my local, closer
vet.  Dr. Phillips said to do that and get him a benadryl injection.  I
got to my regular about 20 mins later and got .33 cc of benadryl for him
and he is now resting peacefully.  Next year they will ALL be
pre-medicated with Benadryl.

I have learned my lesson here.  I have scolded myself.  I was lucky
and it could've been much worse, I know.  This could have cost him
his precious life.

They are all fat!  Much fatter than when I first got them.  I know
they put on their winter underwear and fatten it up, but I think I was
spoiling them too much on duck soup, too.  2 full jars of baby food with
equal amounts of heavy whipping cream every morning.  I ve cut it down
to one jar.  Plus that gets expensive!

Veronica

Still missing Yuki (Her memorial page is done...it's not great, but it's
special to me http://www.geocities.com/clan_jennings/petpics.html just
click on Tama noYuki's thumbnail.  Thank you again to all who made her
passing easier.)

 ,,
Henry County Humane Society  http://www.phchs.petfinder.org