From:
Michaela Maurice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 14:32:33 -0700
Re: Deaf (& Hearing) Ferrets   [?]

Re: pooping in right & wrong places.  One doesn't need to tell a ferret it
has pooped in the wrong spot....simply reward the fert for pooping in the
right spot.  My version wich has worked with all 5 of my ferts (batting
averages in the 80-100% range) is as follows (For deaf ferrets-(and I have
one)- simply omit the vocal part and have a little more patience).
Firstly..don't expect overnight success..although some ferts will suprise
you :).  Get your fert to get excited over the sound of your voice in a
happy playful mood.  With this established, upon taking the fert out of
his/her cage, hold him/her and massage the belly like dough..yes ...like
kneading bread (firm but not hard)..after a minute or two of this...place
the fert in the 'out-of-cage' litter box or on newspaper (whichever you
use).  The fert will likely leave the box.  Pick him/her up and plop him
back in the box in the 'poop' position...continue this, alternating with
further belly massages, all the while repeating 'Make good-boy/girl...{name}
make good boy/girl for mamma/pappa' (LOL)...THEN...to further reinforce what
you are trying to ellicit....hold the fert and place it's nose in some
already pooped pooh (in the box already or placed there by you) and turn
ferret around with hind legs in poop-position in litter box.  If/When the
fert does his/her thing...With lotss of glee and excitement say.."GOOD
BOY/GIRL"..clapping gleefully all the while...then put ferts nose near pooh
and say it again holding a treat right near its nose so it know that poop =
treat.  It may take some patience but it is well worth the effort.  You will
even find your fuzzies looking for your attention, running to the box,
faking it and waiting for a treat :).

For treats, I use heathy stuff if possilbe...like milk bones (broken up of
course)

Until the fert is trained simply get used to picking up their little gifts
from elsewhere...I have never scolded or said NO to any of my ferts and they
are all well-behaved ( I must concede - 2 came to me as adults and have
never bitten from day one)

Let me know if anyone has success with this...this is simply what I have
done and it has worked for me.

RE: Bathing once a week..
From what I understand (and I am (not yet-hehehe) a vet), once a week
bathing is a bit much.  Every two-weeks is better, and there is nothing
wrong with bathing less frequently.- It only depends on whether you want
guests staying very long..LOL!!

Re: Furrball Remedies
I am relatively new to the FML and haven't read the archives, but I have yet
to see anything regarding furball remedies.  I know from personal experience
that some ferts are prone to blockages just from their overzealous cleaning
of their buddies.  One vet told me he even removed an almond shaped ball of
fur from a ferts intestines.  Besides, it is just as good as linatone when
clipping nails or training.  (I would love feedback on this issue and the
bathing)

                            Mich & Crew:
                                Whitey (the giggler) and Mighty Mouse (the
wiggler - and ruler of the house!) Bugsy (the king), Walter (the sweetest
little guy who never tires of being chased..always coming back to kiss the
others) and Spikey (still scared of everyone and wanting to be an only
child)...dook dook dook dook

P.S.  Thank you to everyone who writes to the FML,,I just love having this
place to feel at home (my mom and sis still don't get it!  LOL)