From:
Jennifer Coyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 16:52:04 -0700
Jamie wrote:
>... I am now feeding them Totally Ferret and I have heard that this is very
>good but it seems my little guys could use a variety.... Also could someone
>give me an idea of what kind of treats to give them.  ...

Don't change their diets!  Totally Ferret (in my opinion) is the best diet
you could be feeding to 3 month old kits.  Animals bodies, especially
ferrets, are very different then ours- much more sensitive.  It's not
recommended to vary their staple diet.  A variety of treats is okay, but
changing their daily food can upset their stomachs, cause diarrhea,
depression, and they just might plain not eat it!  Imortant nutritional
values of ferret food are concentrated on protein and fat.  A minimum
requirement for protein for younger ferrets is 35%.  Fat percentages ranges
from 20-18%.  Ash and magnesium are to be avoided as much as possible and
moisture should be around 10% at the most.  Ferrets inner systems don't
require much fiber so 1.5-2.5% is recommended.  Now when choosing a ferret
food, corn and fish products should be avoided in the first 3 ingredients.
Instead concentrate on poultry, rice, eggs and animal fat.  Sounds yummy
right :)?  Anyway here's a few ferret diets , their age recommendation and
their nutritional values:

Totally Ferret- Protein(36%), Fat(22), Fiber(1.5), Ash(6.5), Magn(.09)
                First 3 ingredients: poultry by-prod meal, rice flour,
                poultry fat.  (Recommended for kits and adults)

Kaytee Forti-  Prt.(35%), Fat(18), Fib.(4), Ash(?), Magn.(?)
Diet           First 3 ingred: Poultry meal, fish meal, animal fat
               (Recom. for Adult)

Marshall -     Prt.(38%), Fat(18), Fib.(3.5), Ash(6.5), Magn.(?)
Farms          First 3 ingred: Chicken by-prods, Herring Meal, Corn
               (Recom. for Adult)

Mazuri-        Prt.(38), Fat(20.5), Fib.(4), Ash(7.5), Magn(?)
Ferret         First 3 ingred: Poultry by-prod meal, ground yellow
Diet           corn, animal fat w/ BHA
               (Recom. for Kits and Adults)

8 in 1 Ultra-  Prt(35%), Fat(15), Fib.(3), Ash(6.5), Magn(?)
Ferret Diet    First 3 ingred: Chicken meal, corn, brewer's rice
               (Recom. for Adult and Dieting Ferrets)

Iams Kitten-   Prt(34%) Fat(22), Fib.(3), Ash(7), Magn.(0.1)
               1st 3 ingred: Chicken by-prod meal, chicken, rice flour
               (Recom. for Kits and Adults)

Nutro Max-     Prt.(34%), Fat(20), Fib.(3), Ash(7), Magn(.08)
Kitten         1st 3 ingred: Chicken meal, corn meal, wheat flour
               (Recom. for Adults)

Science -       Prt(33%), Fat(23), Fib.(3), Ash(6.5), Magn.(.11)
Diet Kitten     1st 3 ingred: Poultry by-prod meal, ground corn, animal
                fat w/ BHA, ETC (Recom. for Adults)

Sheppard-     Prt(35%), Fat(20), Fib.(3), Ash(6.5), Magn.(.15)
& Greene      1st 3 ingred: chicken meal, ground rice, corn meal
Nutri-Life    (Recommended for Kits and Adults)
Ferret

Well, as you can see from above, Totally Ferret has all the nutritional
values needed by kits and adults, but stays away from corn and fish.  Both
are hard to digest by most ferrets and have little nutritional value.  So
basically, T.F and Iams Kitten Food are the best for your fuzzheads.  Now
treats.  Ferretone really is the greatest thing because most ferrets love it
and it is a wonderful supplement- good for their skin and coat.  But since
your little girl doesn't like it or raisins (another great treat that most
ferrets like, but don't threat, my picky fuzzbutt, Fred, won't touch 'em),
you might try Ferret-Vite, Linatone,or Vita-sol Ferret Vitamins.  These are
all ferret supplements and need to be used as recommended on the label.
Also there are ferret treats such as ferretbites, made by eight in one, that
come in chicken and banana raisin flavors.  Marshalls makes a treat called
bandits ferret treat that you might like to try.  Also you can try some
other treats made for ferrets (Path Valley Farms is one manufacturer) that
are peanut-butter flavored.  Fred, my picky one, will only eat peanut-butter
treats and ferretone.  Also you can try cheerios, bananas, watermelon,
shrimp, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, raw or cooked potatoes, spinach and
celery.  Just make sure to give these goodies in small quantities and if
your fuzzies show signs of loose stools, cut back on the treats.  It's my
professional opinion as a certified vet technician, that if you're feeding a
healthy staple diet to your fuzzhead, and a daily supplement, a small treat
here and there is fine....and makes training so much easier.  Just make sure
to stay away from treats like chocolate (ferret's lack enzymes that digest
cocoa and could make them seriously ill), ice cream, cheese, and other dairy
products.  These can cause diarrhea and upset tummies.  Cakes and cookies
are no-no's, but even I have been guilty of giving a crumb or two.  Other
than that have fun with it, experiment a bit, always give in very small
quantities and good luck with your fuzzheads.  Dooks to all.

Jennifer M. Coyer CVT
Fred, Faya and Zero The Fuzzmunchkins