From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1992 11:48:45 -0400
Excerpts from mail: 10-Jul-92 Ferret List Issue 276 by Ferret Mailing
List@ferr
> for the summer) took it very well.  The squirmed quite a bit,
> especially when I started to inject the vaccine.  Not so much when
> I pricked them.  Afterward Percy laid down about 2 feet from my legs

I vaccinated my two little girl ferrets last night and was shocked at
how much fussing they did! This stuff must sting. I thought it might
have been from the alcohol on the fur, but maybe not. My calmest,
Skittles, usually squirms for a second as I pierce the skin and then
just hangs there (I grasp them by the scruff to make them still). This
time, as I injected the vaccine, she squirmed so violently, she pulled
the needle out and I had to jag her again! Keesa (who is normally
squirmy) got stuck *4* times before I was successful! Sheesh. And I've
been vaccinating all my animals (1 dog, 3 cats, 2 ferrets) for around
3-4 years now. The entire time I was injecting the vaccine, Keesa did
that annoyed "R-R-R-R-R" sound. I sure hope this stuff is good ...

One thing that wasn't mentioned in the instructions on how to give the
shot, was to be sure you're not in the muscle, pull back on the plunger
a bit -- if there is blood, you're not in a good spot. If you're under
the skin, nothing will be there (I guess it's a vacuum ... ?)

Oh, by the way, I managed to prick *myself* in the process of doing
Keesa ... I've done this before and I just wanted to let you know that
nothing happens. I suppose you might be in trouble if you somehow
managed to *inject* yourself, but just jagging yourself doesn't do
anything. I don't even have a red spot and I jagged myself hard enough
to bleed a drop. I cleaned off the needle with the alcohol swab, though
... I suspect the ferret would have more problem with MY germs. :)

Thanks for the detailed instructions on giving a shot. I had a friend
help me when I was first learning who did people all the time. Turns out
animals are a lot harder. :)

Then of course there's my silly dog ... she doesn't even flinch. Just
stands there.

--Barb--