From:
Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 17:58:40 -0800
    To anon. (Shannon), re: murry biting, then going in the cage after
being yelled at..

    Just one opinion, but it seems he wants to play, and a nip is his only
known way of communicating at present..  So, what I do with new kits who
nip, is tap them (gently) on the nose, look them in the eyes, and say, "no,
don't bit me, I'm not a ferret".  THey 95% of the time stop cold.  I then do
not put them in the cage, but nuzzle them & give them lots of love, that's
what they want anyway!  WIth murray I'd then maby put him on his back &
stroke his tummy with some positive talk, like my what a nice tummy, or
you're really such a good boy.  The point is to teach him that he is
loveable and loved (we all need that), and repeat it when he comes close -
before he nips - .  I.E.: He can get positive attention without needing to
bite!

    I think getting yelled at him & isolation time for doing the perhaps
only thing he knows as a way to get attention just will cause more
frustration & even depression & hopelessness.  (You did mention he's a
shelter ferret..  so he already feels rejected and bad).  And you noted
that he is now avoiding you altogether.  Not what is desired!  The trick is
to give him positive attention just for coming close, small scolding when
nipping, but immediately substituting some positive behavior interaction.
This is not a positive reward for biting, as loving him without the
communication "no, I'm not a ferret" would be.  We have to remember they
are very bright, and truly want to do the "right thing".

    My Fred is my first rescue, & didn't seem to know how to play with other
ferrets at all, he just stood there when others would beckon him to play.  I
think he was an "only child".  Then he too was biting too hard, & even
leaving sores on the others.  So when I heard his playmate of the moment
squealing from him biting too hard, I'd pinch his rear, & say "No, not so
hard!".  In a couple of days, he really did learn to play more gently!

    In fact, I marvel how many times my various guys will tackle & just
poke the "victim" several times with their nose (no teeth at all!) as an
oveture to play.  Tiny Silky will sometimes just try to do a body tackle on
one of the bigger guys, and wind up going for a ride as she's about 1/4th
their weight.  :)

    When in doubt, patience & love can conquer just about anything, behavior
wise with these little ones.

    I know there are some people who might say that they are not that
bright, they can't be taught that easily, but I've heard that said about
human children as well.  :)

    Hope that helps,   Gary