From:
Ferrets Unlimited/The Raisin Retreat Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:59:57 -0400
Ok, my turn for my two cents worth.

I am grateful for each person that volunteers.  Male or female.

Gender makes no difference in how quickly cages are cleaned, who gets bit,
or who gets played with.

Everyone, including shelter operators become "gun shy" when bitten one too
many times, some of us hide it better than others.

As far as volunteers playing with the ferrets, and not cleaning, I don't
object, the ferrets get used to other people handling them, and learn that
people are good.  What is wrong with that?  When someone just wants to play
with the fuzzies, I tell them to come on down!!!  Heck, that just means I
can go through the two rooms faster.

As far as training, how much training does it take to change a litter box,
water bowl, food, and bedding?  Heck, even a rocket scientist can do it.

Every shelter has a system to clean up the cages and floors.  Here I try to
have enough litter boxes so I can walk in every day, take the ones out of
the cage and replace them.  Same goes for water bowls and bottles.  I take
10 minutes, show the volunteers where the things are, explain how to do it
the easy way, give them toilet paper and a broom and let them take whatever
amount of time they want to do what ever they want to do.  They are giving
their time to help you.  And believe me I am grateful for every minute.

Timing is one problem.  Working days, and having only evenings and weekends
the only time people can stop in can be a problem, but you learn to deal
with it.

So, anyone out there that just wants to volunteer to play with the fuzzies,
come on down.  Whether you are male or female, we do not discriminate
against anyone who loves to play with fuzzies.

Ok, I am done for now.

Hug the fur angels for me.

Jean
Ferrets Unlimited/The Raisin Retreat Ferret Shelter