Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 08:35:06 EST
I was very proud to see the FML members once again come together-this time
over pine shavings.  I had been just one of several who had written about
the dangers several times over the years.  The shavings have been clearly
shown to be detrimental.  But some people disregarded or did not read of
the research we pointed out, and strongly defended the shavings on the
FML.

***I am VERY proud to see people banding together on this issue and
reacting in such a positive way!!!!!!!!!!***

As another method of change in your immediate area-it will help, perhaps,
to print the material and take it in to your pet store.  This worked in
my area, where I made the rounds to the pet stores on a regular basis
before being overwhelmed with so many injured, sick, or abandoned animals
to care for.  People usually work at a pet store because they love
animals.  Showing the managers how dangerous cedar and pine shavings were
prompted the stores in my immediate area to change in almost all cases in
the first year.

Years of a rats life or a rabbits life are lost using these shavings.
They are NOT safe for small animals in general.  The short legs put them
closer to the ground where the shavings are.

I know of someone who raises rats and won't switch bedding.  He gets a
great deal on the purchase of pine shavings from someone.  There ARE
people like that out there.  They really don't care about anything but
the almighty dollar.

You cannot change the minds of all people.  But I think that Petco can be
understanding and reasonable about this.  Getting them to alter their
bedding material is definitely doable.

What a wonder to see the team work here on the FML concerning these
shavings!!!!!!!!!

Lisette