Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:28:21 -0500
So, Edward, the way I see it is that you want us to measure the size
and weight of the individual pieces of kibble we are feeding our
ferrets and then measure the size and weight of the resulting poop.

Well, that seems to me that it has a few logistical problems if this
is to be a true scientific study. First, it assumes that the ferret
is kept alone and that we can identify the little piles left by the
individual ferret. Second, it assumes that the ferret ate nothing other
than the food that was fed it. We all know that ferrets never stash
food or treats for later and they surely would not pick up something we
or the dog dropped. Third, it assumes that the age, weight and "port"
conditions of the ferrets are all known and that the ferrets' innards
are healthy. Otherwise, we will not have the necessary knowns available
to find the unknown.

So, I think that I will continue to deposit the used food in the
compost pile. I may look at it intently, but I doubt very seriously
that I will be taking measurements! Please let us know if you find
anything interesting.

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we