From:
Jennifer Lutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 1996 11:21:36 -0400
This may be an unpopular view, but here goes:

When you go to a vet, you are buying something.  You wouldn't go to a
grocery store and say, "well, Thriftway is selling apples for $.69/lb, so
I'm not paying $.99/lb for your apples, I'm only paying $.69." You would
wind up outside with no apples, period.  When you go to a vet and are
rendered a service, you have to pay for it, it's only fair.

The thing that's stupid is that when people go a vet, they usually don't ask
the price until after the service is rendered, at which point it's too late
to negotiate because you're already obligated to pay.  At the grocery store,
you at least look at the price tags before getting on line with the apples,
right?

The way to avoid all this ugliness is to just ask for a schedule of a vet's
fees before you bring in your animals.  (If they refuse to give you one, I
would suspect that they're going to make it up as they go along, and I would
go somewhere else.) Make sure you and the vet are in agreement about $xx.xx
will get you y minutes of service z, etc.  This might be considered a
"consultation" also, but some would consider it a worthwhile investment.

Although we all appreciate a vet (especially FML vets) who put the welfare
of animals above all other considerations, this is an almost impossible
thing to do, because a vet has certain expenses that MUST be met.  Rent,
equipment, medications, staff, computers cost money.  If people don't pay
their bills, where does the money come from?  When the service is rendered,
a vet has a right to expect payment.  Of course, if payment is discussed
beforehand, everything's easier.  So I guess everybody should get over the
strange taboo of discussing fees, and be totally forthright right from the
beginning.

It's not that I disagree about a $30 consultation fee being a rip-off for a
2 minute discussion.  It is.  I just think that, because once one accepts
the service without considering the price, he/she is still obligated to pay
that price, even if it is ridiculous.  You made a deal, live up to it.  You
can always try to haggle afterward, but that's not the best standpoint for
bargaining.

That's just my $29.99 worth.
Jen

[Moderator's note: No, I'm NOT gonna pay you $29.99 to print this!  BIG]