Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 11:39:00 -0400
Had some mails asking me to not leave the FML.  That was very sweet.  I
won't be leaving; don't see anytime when I will, either.

I have been a bit short off-list with some people who had nothing to do
with this garbage, but I didn't mean to sound nasty; it's just that I
really, really, really am not going to discuss who precipitated this.  I
realize that you are my friends, and yes, I do trust you, but I don't think
that discussing particulars will help anyone and it might hurt some so I
just plain have to be strict about it.  Bill Gruber knows some of the
details, of course, since it affects the list.  Sorry if I hurt anyone's
feelings, but you know how stubborn I get when I have decided that I'm not
discussing something.  One thing I am good at is being stubborn, might be
the only thing, but... Anyway, I know you just wanted to help me unload; I
know you care and DO appreciate that!

Thanks to all for being patient with me while I was so exasperated.  Just
felt like a boiling pot complete with lid; it was cathartic, so I apologize
for anyone feeling uncomfortable, but at least it removed the tension so
I'm now very quiet for you and for me.

Here's something which may be of interest.  I'd meant to comment on it
before, but then things got too crazy.  A while back a gent here mentioned
that he was very annoyed because someone kept sending recipes suing ferret
as a meat to his website.  Well, if my memory serves from back then that
was the critical factor which led to the start of the FML.  You see, at
first we were on rec.pets, then rec.pets.alt, then I think it was
rec.pets.alt.ferrets it I recall the configuration right.  Still no matter
how isolated we ferret people back in the 80s tried to be there were a few
jerks who kept overpowering our messages with just such recipes.  Sometimes
MOST of the posts were exactly that sort of trash.  Someone came up with
the idea that we should private exchange mails about having a private list.
It may have been Chris Lewis, or Bianca, or Mark Burgess, or Shu Ju, or one
of the others.  I really don't know.  It wasn't me, that's all I know.  I
was still awfully ignorant of such alternatives -- even more so than now.
Anyway, that is how the FML began with Chris as the first moderator.

While I am on history did you know that Bill Gruber was the one who figured
out how to provide anonymous postings and offered it at first to protect
those in FFZs?
[Moderator's note: Nope, I can't take credit for that -- Chris Lewis
was handling anonymous posts way before I got involved.  By the way,
people *still* try to post ferret "recipies" to the FML.  One day I'll
do an "April Fool's" issue and you might see a couple there!...  BIG]

Last night Ashling managed to figure out a way to reach a spot she has
never reached, so guess what Steve and I got to do?  First, we were very
happy that she couldn't get into my estrogen, eye meds, or hay fever stuff
which she knocked down, and then we got to rearrange the room again.  That
ferret!  She, of course, is extremely proud of herself.  Oh, and she has
figured that she can put her back against the bedroom closet door and her
feet against the bedroom door (which is held with a doorstop since it
drifts) and go up the entire height of the door -- then stand on the top --
that way.  It's her new way to reach the top of the door.  Ever go past a
door only to have a ferret drop herself onto your head?

People have asked about Warp.  She is back to normal levels of activity
( a lot) and joy.  There are no real answers for her intestinal problems
(easy tearing probably from an auto-immune disorder) but we'll spoil her
rotten and do what the vets want done, and just hope it's a long time till
she rips there again.  We expect that her life won't be as long as most,
and have already been told that her tendency to vomit if she has eaten
large meals is most likely why she's been alive to be 6 years old, so even
vomiting can be handy in some rare situations beyond the norm.  While Steve
was a teen one of his closest friends had his father diagnosed with a
serious medical problem that was expected to give him only months more of
life and the friend's father took early retirement.  He really did have the
problem -- it's just that he wound up having it for something like 20 or 30
years with proper care and rest.  He got more in terms of years than he was
expected to have in months.  If one individual of any species can have that
happen then so can some other individuals of any species.  As long as warp
is happy and not in pain there is hope for her, Right?