From:
April Armstrong Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:37:35 -0400
>BTW, it would be interesting to see if veterinary medical rates vary by
>TYPE of animal.  Is it possible that fettets actually cost more than
>other animals receiving the same services due to the perception that
>they are "exotic?" ...

Sadly, yes, oftentimes vets will charge more for ferrets as "exotics".
It's more understandable in cases where the vet doesn't see a lot of
ferrets and maybe spends a lot more time researching and looking things
up to treat your ferret than perhaps a more knowledgeable ferret vet,
but sometimes it's just a relic of the past that ferrets are treated as
exotics when it comes to cost.

I advise taking a close look at estimates and bills for services and
really challenging the notion that their care should be more expensive
b/c they are "exotic" at a practice that regularly sees them.

A good example: When I had Marley's partial pancreatectomy done for his
insulinoma, I went to a different surgeon than usual b/c mine felt that
the other vet was a better surgeon for that procedure and they had an
earlier opening for the surgery anway.  When I got the estimate, there
was a $30-50 a day additional charge for the "exotic" hospitalization
over their normal charge.  I asked the doctor about this, since they see
a lot of ferrets, and I had seen the area in which Marley would be
hospitalized-his cage was in the same area as all the cats and dogs-in
fact, he was housed right next door to a small dog; it's not like he was
going to be in a special wing of the hospital or require any more
technician skills or time than any other animal in that hospital.

It turns out I was right to question this-the doctor said that was an
old policy from the days when they didn't see many ferrets, and had the
office manager take it off the estimate and subsequently saved me $100
or so!

So be vigilant, and ask questions!  Push for the ferret not being treated
as an "exotic," and it just might pay off!

Dooks,

April AC (who works at a vet who doesn't charge extra for ferrets!)

PS At our clinic we see birds, and the price of their annual physical
does vary with their size-it's a bit more work to handle a huge macaw for
an exam than a cockatiel!  Nail trims are a lot quicker and easier for
smaller birds, too; so sometimes size and type of animal does cause a
fair price differential.