From:
"Jason W. Creager" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 03:14:23 -0600
Hi all!  Imagine my surprise when I notice two of my favorite things
mixing on the same mailing list!

Here are the classes for lasers as established by the CDRH (the
department that regulates laser usage in the USA) in simplified form:

Class I         -       No danger whatsoever
Class II        -       Constant scanning beam, not a significant danger
Class III (a)   -       Low wattage (mW) laser that can pose a hazard for
                        direct beam exposure, diffused exposure essentially
                        harmless
Class IV        -       Direct and diffused exposure harmful

A laser pointer is an extremely low power laser.  Most are 3-5 milliwatts.
They are classified as Class IIIs because the beam is not scanning; it is a
stationary beam, hence the warning label.

It would take a very prolonged exposure to a laser pointer beam to cause
damage.  It would HAVE to be an intentional act.

There is not a ferret in the world who would sit still long enough for
you to do damage to his eyes with a laser pointer.  Heck, I doubt if mine
would even notice, since the dot is relatively small and the beam not
powerful enough to be seen easily.

It's safe to use a laser pointer to play with your animals.  It's not safe
to run three phase 208VAC and 480VAC power to your ferret room, install
Coherent Innova 70 Argon and Skylight 400 Krypton lasers, a water to water
chiller and an appropriate projector unit and watch the kids dodge beam
mirror shots and machida grating hits.

But then again, that would be intentional....  :)

If anyone has any further questions, please let me know!

Jason Creager
Coherent Laser Group Certified Field Service Technician