From:
A Blackley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:34:18 -0500
Hi there, I wanted to share a fun story with all my fellow FML readers.

I have a Ferret foster care/shelter in Lockport, NY, About a year ago I
had 2 female and 1 male surrendered to my family of ferts.  The 2 females
found great homes and were adopted promptly.  The male, Cinnamon, as he
is known, has decided picking fights and stealing is his way to stay
here.  Especially when we have guests whom are interested in adopting.

I have spoken to him about this and it has gone like this:
"Cinnamon!  You know, if you don't stop fighting when we have new parents
come to visit, you will never find a good home."

Cinnamon says: " I have a good home !!!"

Anyway, last weekend I get a call from a lady who may be interested in
adopting a ferret with her 14 year old son and would like to come to the
house for more information and to learn how to clean cages and whatnot.
Of course I said ABSOLUTELY!!  So they came over on Saturday for about 2
hours and played, learned, talked, and asked a ton of questions.

In the mean time, I had let all 5 of my adoptives out for a romp with
the lady and the boy.  I was showing the Boy how to clean the cages and
telling him what was involved in good care.  The lady was standing in
the doorway watching us.  I had not noticed she had set her purse on the
floor in the dining room { it didn't have a zipper} {not that, that would
have stopped them}.  By the time I reached the dining room, one of my
females {Suzy} was running at a full gallop across the room with her
lipstick and the rest of the contents of the purse is scattered across
the room.  The lady laughed and said that's ok and crams everything back
into her purse.  They played for awhile and went home, to talk of their
decision.

About 5 hours later, My hubby and I are getting ready to go out for
dinner and the phone rings.  The lady is on the phone asking about her
wallet.  Cash, Credit cards, Drivers license, all included.  I just
thought "OH NO".  I said I'll call you back!  My daughter and I go into
Cinnamon's hidey hole and low and behold!  There's the lady's wallet!

I couldn't apologize enough!  I called her and returned the wallet.  She
had said this would not influence her decision on adopting a ferret, but
if I received a big box of ferret treats in the mail.  I know Cinnamon
used her credit card!  This was too funny!  When we returned home.  I
went in to see the fuzzbutts and to have a long discussion with Cinnamon.
As always the discussion was the same.  "If you are gonna find a good
home, you have to be good!" and he says " I HAVE A GOOD HOME!"

This one ferret!  Makes my day, year, and life!  He sounds really
obnoxious, but he's really a ferret, so full of Joy!  He's contagious!
He loves nuzzles, dooks, and dances.  I know I'm not supposed to, but I
think Cinnamon will have his own way after all.  There is never a day
that goes by without him, going out of his way, to make me laugh.

The kicker is: when we don't have company, he doesn't thief anything but
socks and rarely starts a fight.  Though he's definitely a people ferret,
he gets along with the other's fairly well.

My point being: I think only ferret people know how smart these little
ones really are!!!!

I hope the lady really doesn't sway her decision because of one
mischievous ferret, that's determined to stay where he is.  Wish me luck!

DOOKS AND DANCES TO ALL!!
Angela

[Moderator's note: Well, if this keeps happenning, see the next post
about what to do with that extra cash!  BIG]