From:
Bryan Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 07:56:52 CST
VICTORY!  I can claim a tentative VICTORY on the pet store!

I went to check on the fuzzy last night, and the fuzzy was really unhappy...
because he had had a bath!  The cage was immaculate!  Plenty of food and
water!

He asked if I was the one who made the calls, and naturally I said no, not
me.  The owner also explained the whole situation to me..  and how things
were able to get as bad as they were when I saw them.

He had left for the weekend to the upper peninsula of Michigan to go
snowmobiling.  He had left the store in the hands of two of his employees,
one of which called in sick.  Well... it turns out that that one employee
who was there is most likely going to be fired!  I was the first to mention
that she was on the phone the whole time, and a guy came in not five minutes
later and mentioned the same thing while exchanging a fish filter (I
checked..  not effective against the California F&G) that she had sold him.
Hooboy, was the owner mad!

More importantly than that, since I had done my research before purchasing
ferrets (from his store..  all three of them) he valued my opinions.  With
this confidence in me, AND the little one playing in my arms for three hours
(the whole time playing hide-the-finger, topped off with multiple snoozes)
HE AGREED NEVER TO SELL FERRETS AGAIN!  HE IS WILLING TO FORM AN "ALLIANCE"
WITH A LOCAL FERRET SHELTER INSTEAD!  I managed to convince him that it was
not economicaly viable to sell ferrets, and that he can only benefit both
from good PR (by helping a shelter), and that the shelter MIGHT (I stressed
this point, because I cannot speak for the shelters) purchase some supplies
from him.  Therefore the fuzzy that is in the store IS THE LAST ONE THAT
SHOULD PASS THROUGH THAT STORE!

I also believe I talked the owner into giving the fuzzie his OWN FIVE STORY
CONDO-CAGE.  He'll have plenty of room now!  And... I may also have gotten
myself a position in that store as an Assistant Manager..  so I can oversee
that "Staff" of his when he takes time off.

Thank you all for keeping the little one in your thoughts.  I think that all
that wishing and hoping helped me with what I needed to do for that fuzzy.
He is now guaranteed clean living conditions, plenty of food, plenty of
water, plenty of space, and that he will be the last one to be sold there.

Naturally, I am not going to let up my guard..  I am going to go in there
every now and then and check up on things.  But he seemed sincere enough..
and with a little more luck, he's no longer going to deal with ferrets.

I am still struggling with myself about taking him home myself..
AARRGGHH!  :P

Thanks again, all, and I will keep everyone updated.  More good news, I
hope!

    Respectfully,

    Bryan Hall