From:
"Holender, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:42:44 +1200
>Had a shelf in a pantry closet topple.  Ouch, falling cans hurt and
>startle.  Yes, I was wimp and yelled.  Guess what?  Ashling came to my
>defense, tail all a-fluff and ferret-barking wildly at the bad thing in
>there which bruised her mom.  "I'll save you, Mommy!"

Very funny Sukie!  Funny story, not funny that the cans fell on you <grin>.
I think I might have already told this story on the FML, but anyway...

I've had things fall off a pantry shelf too.  But not because of the
shelf...

My pantry door, does not quite sit flush and so the ferrets tended to dig
at it to get it open.  After many attempts at ferret proofing it, I gave up
and just left the door open for them as they had made quite a mess of the
door corner in their attempts to get it open.  So all the stuff was moved
off the floor of the pantry, up onto the half shelf, which was well out
of ferret reach.  Months went by and all was well, then I came in to the
kitchen to find rice, cornflakes, breadcrumbs and pasta all over the floor
along with Thor my super intelligent albino.  I couldn't figure out how
Thor had managed it, so I put him in his cage while I cleaned up.  As soon
as I let him out, he showed me how he did it.  He figured out that by
standing on his back legs atop the door jamb, he could get sufficient
height to have a go at the shelf.  So here he is balancing on his back legs
and he launches himself at the shelf.  Well he gets his front legs on the
shelf and is swinging back and forth with the shelf under his "armpits".
On each forward swing he would grab an item in his mouth and pull it off
the shelf!  I was much too impressed to be angry!  The shelf now has a
large perspex lip attached to it!

Ferret Proof - gotta be one of the greatest oxymoron's of all time!

-David
Thor, Grover, Milly, Snuff, Lady Penelope and foster Rangi