Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:25:38 -0500
My boys don't do any particular tricks to a clicker, but I have trained
them to come running to a clicker.  I started out by making clucking
noises with my tongue, but that wasn't too effective if they were more
than a room away, so I switched them over to the clicker.  All it took
was linatone and praise, and now they will come out of a sound sleep when
they hear the clicker.  My previous ferrets were deaf or unwilling/unable
to learn new tricks, and it is such a relief to know that I have a way of
calling them when need be.

A while back on Animal Planet I saw a segment I think on Amazing Animal
Videos about a ferret named Bridget (see, I remember the important
details) who was excellently clicker- trained to run obstacle courses
and do tricks.  The ferret's owner said it never occured to her that
you wouldn't be able to teach a ferret to do these things, so she just
went ahead and did it :)

Calling all ferret toys: Seti firmly believes that all books should be
under the bed.  Generally he just takes trade paperbacks but I have
caught him lugging big hardcovers down the hallway.  Both Pan and Seti
believe that a particular stuffed bat also belongs under the bed, I think
because it is bright red.  Also my husband's extra guitar strings and
picks obviously belong under the bed, and the ferrets have no idea why on
earth he would keep putting them in his gear bags and then they have to
go to all the trouble of unzipping the bags, fishing out all the strings
and picks and then relocating them.  ;-)

Regina

Regina Harrison  [log in to unmask]
everything moved:
http://users.rcn.com/badriya/
blog: http://badriya-z.blogspot.com/

"Is that my business?  Well, what is my business?  Do I know?  Did I ever
know?  Let's not go into that.  You're not human tonight, Marlowe.  Maybe
I never was or ever will be... Maybe we all get like this in the cold
half-lit world where always the wrong thing happens and never the right."
 --Raymond Chandler, The Little Sister