Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 1994 00:25:18 -0400
> From: "Charlie Cook" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 09:25:38 -0400
> Subject: Ferret bite double standard

     (Bite Data Deleted)

 Thank you! That was an excellently reserched piece of information! that
is EXACTLY the information we need to supply to whoever we choose as
spokespersons for this upcoming `Media Blitz' (Have to call it something!)

That and the WONDERFUL rabies information in the next post as well!

 --------------------------------------

> From: RBOSSART <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Rabies Data
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 18:22:59 -0400

         (Data deleted>

> OK, we finally got some figures in today on rabies.  These were supplied
> by CDC in Atlanta and were taken from "Rabies Surveillance in the United
> States During 1992" ; J.W. Krebs, MS; T.W. Strine, BA; J.E. Childs, ScD
> published in JAVMA, Vol. 203, No. 12, December 15,1993; Special Report
> 1721.
> Since 1950 to present (1994), CDC reports a total of 16 confirmed cases
> of rabies in ferrets (private conversation with CDC). Using that same
> ratio of 5:1  (dogs:ferrets); the dog is shown to be over 33 times more
> likely to have contracted rabies.  The 5:1 ratio is very conservative
> since the number of ferrets in recent years has grown rapidly.  CDFA
> estimated in their 1990 report that there were 8 million ferrets compared
> with 46 million dogs ( 5.7 :1 ). 1988 estimates published in a reply to a
> previous article by Dr. Hoffman in "FDA Veterinarian"; September/ October
> 1991,  were 50 million dogs and 3 million ferrets ( 16:1 ).
>
>         In this same article, Dr Hoffman states that the normalized bite
> rate (bites per year per animal) showed that a dog was over 200 times
> more likely to bite than a ferret (8.8 bites per year per 10,000 dogs vs
> 0.04 bites per year per 10,000 ferrets.)
>
> The "Compendium of Animal Rabies Control, 1994" published by the National
> Association of State Public Health Veterinarians, Inc. now lists two (2)
> approved rabies vaccines for ferrets: IMRAB-3 by Rhone Merieux, Inc.; and
> PRORAB 1 by Intervet, Inc.  An approved rabies vaccine was not available
> for ferrets until 1990.
>
> Hope this helps those of you needing data.
>
> Dick B.

This sort of information is readily available to anyone who cares to
research it, and that is EASY for the government to do!
  Allright, here's my idea so far (and I would dearly love any advice
that might help!)

1) We set a date to call everyone (Geraldo, Sally Jesse Raphael,
nightline, the white house, whoever!) - I suggest the end of May. I
realize that date is 2 monthsa away, but we have to TELL everyone about
it! - and some ferret newsletters only go out every other month.)
The date should NOT be just one day - I suggest setting one WEEK aside,
so that everyone has a chance to call - if we really DO get 50,000 to
100,000+ people to call (yes, it's farfetched, but there's a LOT mere
than 1,000,000 ferret owners out there in the U.S., if we told them ALL,
THAT would be the turning point.. if that many people call, it will take
DAYS to let everyone get through.)

2) we get the numbers we want to call and decide EXACTLY who we are going
to call.

3) Elect a few spokepeople. Anyone who calls should refer Geraldo,
nightline, Sally Jessy, etc. to those people, whoever has volunteered to
do the talk shows, give the REAL info, etc. (Someone from the A.F.A.,
Bill Phillips in Ca, the McDonalds, perhaps Fara Shimbo of Furo, someone
or someONES we know has the facts and would be willing to do the talk shows.

4) DISTRIBUTE THIS INFORMATION! - tell EVERY ferret club, group,
organization, shelter, etc. about this! - tell ALL your friends, even if
they DON'T have ferrets! let everyone you even THINK might call know
about it, the numbers, the date, and the spokespeople to refer to.

5) decide what people should SAY on the phone. I think everyone needs to
know just what we want to accomplish with these calls, so they can tell
the stations, shows, politicians, etc.

That's all for now, although I'm sure there are more things to consider.

Right now, I'm just starting on this idea, but if we want to do it,
SOMEONE has to start it.. I'll try and get in touch with Fara Shimbo,
Bill Phillips in Ca is not likely to be in as the vote on ferrrets in Ca
is tomorrow, but I'll attempt to reach him asap.. Anyone else who wishes
to take part (I hope that's ALL of you!) please contact your local ferret
clubs, shelters, vets, etc. and see if the last week of may would be far
enough away to prepare.
 Also, please look for any more phone #'s that might help!

Matt Ouimette

> From: Brad Laraway <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Media and ferrets.
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 11:26:51 -0400
>

>         All this talk about media gave me an idea.  Is there any pet food
> sponcors for these shows?  This may sound stupid but if Purina(sp) or
> another large pet suply company could also be contacted to kind of help
> sponor this affair it could help.  Wouldn't that be great, instead of Morris
> jumping across the room to eat, here comes a ferret out of a drier hose,
> past the laundry basket full of socks, to a bowl of Purina ProPlan.  Although
> I've never seen a ferret so hungry that he didn't have time to stash at least
> one sock on his way to eat. :)   Or maybe like that kible and bits commercial
> with the dog glued to the bag.  Have a 1.5 lbs female drag a 4 or 5 pound bag
> back to her stash of toys.
>
>         I know, I'm touched, but everyone has to dream now and then.

That's a BRILLIANT idea! - Does anyone have the address for Ralston
Purina, or IAMS, or any large pet-food manufacturer? - the address, or
better yet, a phone #!

Brad, please please feel free to think up any more ideas like this! (and
see if you can find out any more about the larger pet-food companies!

> From: [log in to unmask] (Mark Ouellette x8216)
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 13:52:24 -0400
> Subject: Air Travel with ferrets and media bombardment.
>

> Regarding Matt Ouimette's request for a united front, I hereby enlist as a
> phone-soldier!  Just let me know when!

 Right! I'll do that, as long as I can be sure I'll get some response!
(And it looks like I will, as everyone so far seems quite favorable!)

Matt Ouimette
U.F.A.