From:
John & Sandy Lazdins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 08:48:19 +1000
First of let me wish everyone a Happy, healthy and Prosperous New Year.  May
Ferret Math hit everyone who wants it.  hehe

I am not a doctor or a vet, but in the last 20 years I have had a lot to do
with both of them.  When I was around 25 I broke my back in three places and
was diagnosed as Juvenile Osteoporosis, in those days not to much was known
by the general public about osteoporosis, not like it is today.  It took
them 3 yrs to convince me that I had JO while I was having operations on my
back etc.  After which I went up to our farm to live.

Fresh air, exercise and plenty of sunlight.  7 yrs ago I broke my wrist.
The only time i had broken a bone since my back.  It healed and the plaster
was off in 5 weeks.  Not normal for somebody with Osteoporosis.  A year
after that I had a bone density scan done, I was told my bones looked like a
25 yr old, I had just hit 40, and they couldn't see any signs of
osteoporosis so I had a full body scan done.  Same result.  And yet 15 yrs
prior my bone were supposed to resemble a 75 yr old.  What had I done -
nothing other than hard farm work, no stress (other than spring when all the
babies arrived hehe) fresh air and plenty of sunlight.

I don't know if it would work the same for ferrets with osteoporosis but it
is worth a try, if you can't get natural sunlight for them as close as
possible artifical, plenty of exercise and minimal stress.  The fresh air
may be a problem for some.  It can't hurt and it may just work.

Just my .02c worth

PS Thank you for a great list BIG and an extra specially  Happy New Year
to you.
Health and happiness to you and your "family"
Sandy