From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:27:36 -0500
Hi

>I heard that Pole Cats have a cranial ridge that runs from between the
>eyes to the back of the skull.  I have noticed that Rolo has such a
>cranial ridge, and given the fact that his mother was brought to the
>rescue centre whilst pregnant and his father is unknown, i was wondering
>whether he had some Pole Cat in him?

All ferrets (and other mammals for that matter, including humans) have
this ridge.  It's called the sagittal crest and it serves as a muscle
attachment point.  More robust ferrets will have a more pronounced
sagittal crest, but the robusticity or lack thereof is not indicative of
ancestry.  As to whether or not Rolo's dad is a feral ferret or a European
polecat, I don't know.  It's possible that one of the breeders who have
experience incorporating polecats into their lines can comment.

Best wishes and happy ferreting!
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets
http://www.geocities.com/sageferrets