From:
Cheryl Cato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 13:43:51 -0600
First - thanks for the responses I received about Binky.

Ok - We did an ulrasound on Binky.  The vet apparently knew of someone who
does them on humans and animals - and is very confident about reading them.
We went with the ultrasound due to the long turnaround on the UT adrenal
panel results.  The ultrasound did reveal an adrenal tumor on the left
adrenal this time.  The surgery is scheduled for Monday (11/25).  I think my
vet feels just a *tiny* bit more confident.  She is extremely nervous about
doing surgery on Binky.  Apparently, with that kidney missing - she loses
some of her (the vets) landmarks.  I'm beginning to wonder if that's why
Binky had such a hard time recovering last time.  Maybe the surgery was
longer and more invasive than usual?

I have a couple of questions - if anyone has any input:

* We anticipate that Binky will have a very tough time post-surgery again.
  I've taken the week off to provide 24x7 care.  What kinds of supplies,
  etc.  do I need to round up to be as prepared as possible?  Are there any
  medicines, supplements, etc that I can keep close by?  What about
  emergency supplies?  I'm sure that my vet will cooperate with anything
  that I need to get from her (anything I can do legally, that is).  Any
  advice, clues, heads-ups are appreciated.  I'm sure we'll have to force
  feed and all that again.  (Did it for 3 weeks last go round.) Binky
  doesn't like *any* of the usual ferret good stuff - except for Linatone.
  Anything else I can try?

* Steroids: My vet has mixed feelings about whether to start therapy or not.
  Apparently there have been mixed reviews about whether ferrets really need
  the long term treatment in the absence of both adrenal glands or not.  Any
  input on this?

Thanks. I really appreciate any help anyone can give.

- Desperate Cheryl and the Wrecking Crew