From:
Larry McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 19:25:36 -0500
I would like to respond to the PetSmart item.

We just acquired our first ferret.  Our daughter has worked a long time to
convince me about a ferret as a pet (we have 3 cats).  We were at the mall
one day, and I held a young one.  After checking into how they get along
with other animals, we agreed that she could get one in August.

Well, a lady here in town had one for free in the paper, which I naturally,
was too late on when I called.  But, she had a little 2 1/2 year old male
that she would sell, with his cage.  It was such a deal I couldn't pass him
up.  He unfortunately had fleas.  So, I went to the PetSmart store and
talked to the people and the groomers there.  They guided me to a mild cat
flea shampoo, and helped me find things for him.  As the week has gone on,
I've purchased more things for Socks, such as fruit treats, ferret shampoo,
and a ferret owners manual.

I did go to the pet store in our mall, which sells ferrets, searching for
ear cleaner for Socks.  The people at PassPets could have cared less about
helping me, informed me they used to sell ferret ear cleaner, but it didn't
go over well and just use a cat ear cleaner.  Their attitude was, basically,
who cares what you need.  I left there and went over to PetSmart, where
again, I found what I needed.

Just remember, one store doesn't always reflect on the knowledge of all the
employees.  The people at PassPets sell animals, and they just don't seem
well informed at all, where as PetSmart's people were quite knowledgeable---
in fact at least two of the people I spoke with were fuzzie owners!

Oh, by the way, Socks and our two boy cats are starting to really make up.
However, our daughter's cat still isn't sure about him.  Dribble, the male
Japanese Bobtail is fascinated by Socks, and by Socks' tail!  And Socks is
totally taken with Dribble, Chewie, and even with the female JBT, Sarabi,
who just sits and stares at him.

Rebecca