From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 09:03:06 -0500
I'll put in my .02 to support the LOS-NJ's position on not selling ferrets
at shows.  Very good idea in my opinion.  Why?  Well we all tout "educate
the public" over and over like its a mantra that will fix things by itself
which is doesn't.  The very reason to buy from a breeder vs. somewhere el se
(pet store) is for the education you get.  As one person posted - they could
barely make it back to their table for the crush of people.  Just how much
education can you do at a show before handing that ferret over?  How do you
know if they're going to buy a cage or food or litter?  When rescuing or
selling out of your home you can develop a relationship, do some educating
and when the home is set up and their ready for the new arrival off they go.
Its a process not a sale!  The other reason I support this is I prefer it
when breeders try to keep track of their kits and if problems develop down
the road that relationship kicks in and the people will call the breeder.
"We're moving, we're getting a divorce can you help us find a home for our
ferret"  "Our ferret has cancer and thought you'd want to know for your
records".  I just don't see this kind of relationship developing at a show.

Proposed Solution: I don't see anything wrong with bringing ferrets (rescue
or otherwise) to a show to display though even if your not showing.
Interested breeders can check our your stud, people can see if they like
your ferrets and call back if they're really interested.  (Same for
rescues).

This seguys(sp) into my next point.  Whatever happened to that breeder ethic
that said you should try (really try) to have people lined up for a litter
BEFORE you breed it?  I thought this was one of the things at the HEART of
responsible breeding?  If you regularly have to sell at pet shows then your
not stepping up to your responsibilities as an ethical breeder.

Mary, Giesela, Boris and (detested) dog Booker