From:
Anne Charbonneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 1995 20:31:26 -0400
Bonjour!
        Victor is sick again...  For those who don't remerber, Victor had a
surgery for insulominas and adrenal.  Sunday morning I find him at 5:15 AM
quite weak and lethargic.  I thougt that it was hypoglycemia again cause
since yesterday I was short of C/D and gave him baby food and I tried to
reduce Prednisone from 1 mg bid to .75 mg bid (2 weeks ago, I reduced from
1.25 mg to 1.00 mg with succes) So I gave him 1 mg of pred. and tried to
feed him...  He didn't want to eat nor to take nutrical but he drank a
lot.  He had 2 orange-mucoid stools.  He didn't urinated.
        As my vet's office was close, I find an other vet who tested the
glucose and found 204 mg!!!  She gave him fluid (20cc), wanted to perform
an urine analysis but at 3 pm, still no urine.  Body temperature 39,5.  As
he would have stay alone for the evening and the night, I decided to bring
him home.  His last glucose test was 229 mg... In my way back home, I
stopped to another vet to buy C/D.  The vet wanted to see Victor and
suggested more fluid as he was very deshydrated.  So she gave him 50 cc
more and she gave me a bag, needle, etc to give him more tonight.  At home
he accepted to eat half a teaspoon of dilute C/D and finaly he urinated a
bit an one more liquid stool but green... Now at 8 pm he seems quite
deshydrated again but sleeps
        What happens???  He didn't has any contact with other ferrets
than ours since 2 months and at the best of my knowledge, we didn't had
any case of ECE in Quebec.  His last glucose test perform 10 days after
the surgery showed a level of 80 mg.  I feed him at each 4 hours during
day time.  Give him his pred. bid at each 12 hours.  And I mix brewer
yeast with his meal.  He gained weight after the surgery and a month ago
when he receive is boost vaccine he tipped the scale at 3 pounds...
        I will be at the door of my vet's office tomorrow morning, but if
someone experienced that problem and can help me, please send me a
private e-mail with your phone number in case I need more emergency
explanations.
        Thanks, Anne et...

             Victor 8>          Hugo 8>           Adele :>

Anne Charbonneau        Faculte de medecine dentaire    Universite de Montreal
[log in to unmask]            Tel: (514) 343-5924
[log in to unmask]               Fax: (514) 343-2233