From:
Ailigh Hobgood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 18:59:55 +0100
Ok.  I have to write in defence of the airlines here.  Agreed, they don't
ship animals in the summer due to heat (I have an Iguana and they wouldn't
make an exception!).

On the other subject.  Cargo is not a bad place.  The animals are not
treated as baggage.  You drop them off with a special section of the
airline.  My Iguana has flown across the Atlantic 3 times, soon to be 4,
and he has flown Delta Dash and BA World Cargo.  On all occasions, I drop
him off to the respective Health authority and airline cargo division.
They place him inside a room until the plane is boarded (when the people go
on so do the animals) then they come off the plane at the same time and are
hand carried to a point where you pick them up after claiming your luggage.
Cargo is air and temperature controlled and they also limit the number of
pets transported in cargo.

I am planning on taking 6 ferrets and the iguana (Again) back to the US and
can't imagine what they would all be like in the cabin.  Not to mention, I
don't travel well and wouldn't mind travelling in the cargo hold - at least
I could lie down and sleep!!

Ailigh and the frolicking ferrets and well travelled Iguana