From:
Lynda Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:09:22 -0500
I am posting this for Troy Lynn, who does not have net access at home.
One of her rescues, Ulysses, has mega-esophagus problems.  He had surgery
several weeks ago and is not doing well.  During the surgery, our vet
removed a kiwi-sized hairball and cut muscles in the esophagus that seemed
to be constricting the swallowing (I hope I have this right!).

Before surgery, Ulysses was eating kibble; since surgery, he refuses it.
Troy Lynn has been having to syringe feed him every few hours.  He will not
eat but a few cc's at a time; when she tries to get him to eat more, he
vomits up everything.  She is SURE he is not doing it on purpose.  Our vet
is planning on trying a procedure that, as far as he knows, has not been
used on ferrets.  Friday evening he plans on inserting a tube down the
esophagus and inflating it to stretch the esophagus some.  He will leave it
in for a short period of time and then remove it.  Supposedly, this is
often used in humans and does work, although it has to be repeated twice a
week or so.

Finally, the request.  If you have had ANY experience with this procedure
or with mega-esophagus in general, will you please let Troy Lynn know ASAP?
Her email address is [log in to unmask]   She needs to hear from you by
4:30 today (Friday).  Thanks so very much!

Lynda (Razz) and the crew