From:
Lisa Carswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 12:38:09 -0500
Hello, ferret people!

I just got back from going home for spring break, and I've got a problem I
hope someone can help me with.  My oldest ferret, Zorro, 2 yrs. 9 mos.
sable male, has suddenly become a biter...and I can't figure out why!  Up
until this past week, Zorro was the ideal ferret...sweet and loveable and
affectionate.  He -never- bit before, and further, he was the ferret who
required the least anti-nip training of my three.

Zorro has always loved burrowing under my shirt whenever I've worn something
loose and cuddling up for a nap.  Often when he's gone under my clothing
he'll lick my tummy before curling up (lucky for me I'm not ticklish).
Sometimes he just likes to crawl under my shirt and come out of the neck
opening or one of the sleeves.  Well, the first day I was home and took the
ferrets out to play, Zorro climbed up in my lap and went under my shirt.  He
licked my tummy a little bit, then stuck his head out of the neck opening.
He licked my collarbone a few times, then suddenly clamped down -hard- with
his teeth...and he didn't want to let go!  Later that evening he was
standing on my shoulders and started licking the back of my neck, and
suddenly bit down again.  This behavior recurred several times during my
trip home.  I'm so upset...I'm almost afraid to try to cuddle with Zorro
now.

I wasn't wearing any perfume, nor have I changed soap/shampoo/deodorant, so
I don't think he was upset or confused by any strange/objectionable scent.
Zorro has always been on the thin side, but his coat is thick, shiny and
soft, his eyes are clear and bright, and his energy level is good, so this
incident doesn't seem to be health-related.  All the bites occurred on my
neck/collarbone/upper chest area...he would lick my tummy and my face
without any biting.  There have been two major changes in Zorro's life
lately, though.  At the end of August, I left Georgia to go to graduate
school at Notre Dame, and since I'm not allowed to have pets in the
university housing, I left my ferrets with my mother.  Since first year grad
students are discouraged from holding outside jobs, my daughter Bronwyn also
stayed behind with my mother, so the ferrets did have a familiar face go
with them when they moved (of course, Zorro has always been "my" ferret...
he loves Bronwyn, but he's always seemed more attached to me).  Then at
Christmas, we acquired a new kit, Loki, who is now five months old, as a
Christmas gift.  I might add also that Loki is very rambunctious and loves
to wrestle with Zorro and Claudia, our other ferret.  I'm wondering if
perhaps Zorro's sudden biting could be because a) he resents my leaving him
behind and/or b) Loki's normal kit behavior is inciting Zorro to behave more
aggressively.  Does anyone have any ideas?  And most importantly, what can I
do???  I don't want to be afraid to cuddle with Zorro...he's always been a
wonderful ferret until now.  Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Lisa
Mom of Zorro, Claudia, and Loki
"There in the midst of it so alive and so alone
Words support like bone."
                          --Peter Gabriel
                            "Mercy Street"