From:
Deba Brezden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 07:55:24 -0700
Hello Ferts and Fertfolks of FML ;o)

We hope you all are having a real dooky year so far, and shall continue the
same of course!  Ferris and I have been lurking for these last few months,
afraid we've 'both' been 'asleep' for most of that time in fact, as I have
been battling with hypothyroid disease.  But we're seeing more daylight
everyday now, thank God, as the medicine is starting to kick in and my
metabolisim is beginning to adjust to normal again.  Ferris barely noticed
the change of course, since he already assumes it's normal to be sleeping
some 20 hours a day!  <Gotta Love'em Eh!  giggle> Anyhoo, we just wanted to
offer you our comment, and a compromise suggestion, concerning this "sales
at shows" issue .  .  .

>From:    Wherret <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret sales at shows
>While I'm sure for localized breeders this is a fine policy, since
>customers can visit the breeders later and do their purchasing on their
>own time, for those who travel a long way and aren't likely to have
>customers come and visit, shows are a great way to get our ferrets out
>there.  Perhaps there's a viable alternative to a No Sales Policy that
>could be implemented?

Well, we first want to say, that with health issues such as ECE and the like
out there, which are in many regards still not fully understood by either
the veterinary nor fertfolk communities,( hell if we are really honest about
it, we don't yet know much about even older ailments which have plagued
ferts for decades, like adrenal disease, insulinoma, cardio disease, etc.
for in reality, it is only in recent decades folks began any real
investigation into the ferret's health issues as a pet species) In that this
is the case, I'd hope that the entire fertfolk community is inspired to
exercise additional percaution, whenever 'mingling' with any other
ferret/ferrets.  While we believe, the general environment and the basic
interactions of a 'typical' ferret show, are for the most part NOT creating,
nor promoting, any health hazard to the ferrets involved, we also believe,
that as with any 'community' interaction, where there is a possibility of
communicable disease spread, that the higher the instance of 'actual'
interaction between the various individuals in attendance, the greater the
opportunity for disease transmission to occur.  In having numerous fertfolk
handling numerous ferrets without taking any sanitary precaution in between
each and every ferret, we both increase the chance of transmission of
disease and we ultimately nullify any precautions we may have already taken
with our own ferret's health as well.  Even if I'm fairly certain that my
own are 'disease free', and I KNOW everyone who attends DOES believe this of
their own or would not be there, can I then also take it for granted that
all the other ferrets are too?  Well, we do not think that is the wisest
thing to assume here.  We simply do not know enough about ferret health
issues to ever become so complacent, and as it's been said, it is better to
err on the side of caution is it not?  To do otherwise, may cause suffering
or sorrow where it need not have been.  Our response, rather than
'avoidance' is simply 'precaution'.  The same, also applys to eliminating
bite incidents.  What is needed is to take all the appropriate measures for
prevention of disease spread, and to ensure constant supervised handling.

However, Sheena also has a valid point as concerns the actuality of our
desire and need to be able to 'interact' in regards the 'business'( no pun
intended!) of breeding, selling, and promoting our ferrets.  For it's indeed
true that the 'bloodlines' are clearly enhanced by 'cross-border'
interaction between breeders.  And too, it's also true that shows provide an
opportunity and an enjoyable venue, to both enjoy our ferrets and to meet
and network with other fertfolk.  So, here's our little suggestion:

Perhaps, since many of the various fertfolk involved with the shows do have
access to, and are aware of, the various other fertfolks involved, more
'networking' could be done between the parties prior to, and apart from,
these shows themselves, particularly as regards sales activities between
these various breeders.  Thus relieving some of the 'pressure' or
'necessity' for sales occuring only at shows.  As well, concerning sales and
or adoptions that DO occur at a show, it would seem to be overkill
eliminating the practice altogether, when institution of a few simple, but
strictly adhered to, precautionary rules and measures to ensure the health
of ferrets, and the safety of the general public would suffice to meet the
concerns sited here.  Ferrets are desperately in need of being promoted and
brought into the public eye, as we all know too well, and every opportunity
that allows for public exposure and good P.R.  should be readily ceased upon
by all fertfolks.  Indeed, public education is our only tool against the
prevailing ignorance that abounds concerning these darling furry friends of
ours.  It seems to us, that if fertfolks conduct their functions with due
precautions and responsibility, so that all the ferrets involved are
considered the first priority in the matter, then such functions, be they
shows, or frolics, or .  .  .?  are tremendous and effective opportunities
for Ferret P.R.  and public education.  Secluding our community, on the
other hand, offers no chance for either, and as a result will prove, at
least unbeneficial, and at the worst detrimental, to ferretkind, and so also
to all of us who love'em and strive for them.  We think it is very important
for all fertfolk involved with any sort of 'community function' to recognize
the various dangers and issues that it may encounter or create, whether they
be related to health issues, or to political/legal <synonymous for ferrets
:o(sigh> issues, and to institute and practice an appropriate, standard set
of protocols and precautions, in response to them.  We also KNOW it is
vitally important, to ferretkind that we all strive to eliminate the common
ignorance concerning ferrets, and this can only be achieved through public
education and exposure.  We urge all fertfolks to continually grasp all
available opportunities they find to do so!  And we urge you also, to do so
with due care as well ;o)

And now folks, <yaawwwnn> we thinks we'll go back to sleep fer a bit...

We pray God's Grace and Mercy for all ferts and fertfolk everywhere.

Ferris "You move roun too much typin mom, can we lie down now yaawwwn"
and his mom
Deba Brezden
Director, IFRIC Canada