From:
"Glenn, Jenni, BMG - NY1540" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:26:57 -0500
Hi everyone!  I'm brand new to the list (I just got my first edition today)
and I have some questions that I'm hoping someone will be able to answer for
me.  You can email me privately or publicly on the list, it doesn't matter
([log in to unmask] is my private address).  I have an adorable little
fuzzer face named Oso.  He's 1 yr 10 mo old, but I've only had him for 6
months.  He's litter trained, only nips while playing, gives kisses and
follows me around the house whenever I leave the room to do something.
Although he gives me kisses and follows me around, he doesn't like to be
held.  And, he's a very light sleeper, so even if I take him out of his cage
when he's sleeping and try to hold him on my lap he wakes right up and wants
to get away.  Does anyone know why he's so lovable and friendly, but hates
to be held?  Is this normal?  Also, I'm really worried now after reading
about all the diseases that ferrets are susceptible to.  What can I do to
prevent Oso from getting any of these diseases?  He is vaccinated for canine
distemper (Galaxy D) but that's it.  Should I get him any other shots?  A
couple months ago, he was having a hard time swallowing and choking a bit,
so I rushed him to the vet immediately.  I was so scared, I had x-rays done
to make sure he was okay, and thank god he was.  The doc says it was
probably only a hairball.  Since I've never had a ferret before, every time
he sneezes or coughs or chokes on something, I panic and think he's sick and
is going to die!  I know that I shouldn't be so paranoid, but what are some
signs I should look for if he REALLY was ill and needed vet attention?
Also, is he lonely because he's an only child?  He seems happy, but I'm not
sure.  We are thinking about getting him a playmate.  Oso is a neutered
male--should we get him a sister or a brother?  Would he get along better
with a male or a female?  And, will he be mad if we bring home another
ferret and put him in the same cage?  Will he feel like someone is moving in
on his private space or will he enjoy the company?  Should I get separate
cages?  And, one final question...does anyone know of any upcoming shows
within driving distance (4-5 hours) of Northern New Jersey?  Please let me
know!  Thanks again!  Jenni & Oso : )