From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 18:30:56 -0500
I have to agree with Jim that California democrats have been rather
unhelpful on the ferret issue.  My own two state reps are Kevin Murray and
Diane Watson, whom I have written about once every three to four month on
the issue of ferrets.  Both have declined to even response with even a "I
will take your comments under consideration" form letter.  I am not a one
issue person, and have contacted them (and gotten replies) on other issues.

Assemblyman Murray's staff was mis-informed at best on his vote on HR 37.
When I inquired as to why he did not vote on it in either committee (which I
believe he chairs) or on the floor I was told wrongly that he was not
present.

Some people invloved directly with the legalization effort have implied that
racism or classism may have something to do with the democratic party
resistance towards ferret legalization.  Ferrets are viewed as a white
yuppie pet (although I believe the only person to do jail time for owning a
ferret recently is black).

I have felt that one thing people outside of California could try to do, is
write Pete Wilson or local cities that have a large tourist industry and
tell them that because you can't bring your ferret to California, you will
vacation in ferret friendly states.

I would NOT use the word boycott, but instead play up how you want to visit
but CAN NOT because of the ferret ban.

Brad