From:
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 21:25:05 -0700
>From:    Dennis or Leslie Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MF #24
>there is the concern thatanti-ferret people/groups/organizations will get
>hold of this issue, mainly the photos, and use it to support their
>argument that ferrets shouldn't be legalized

Really, please explain this to us.  We're quite serious.  How could the CA
F&G use the Modern Ferret Halloween issue to seriously impact pro or con
the legalization of ferrets?  We just can't see it at all.

Because they find the macabre funny?  Get real.  Do you have a clue who
Harry Anderson is?

>After all, we're talking about ferrets here.

No.  You are absolutely not talking about ferrets.  Not in the least.  You
are merely stating that you didn't find the issue funny.  But you really
should have left it at that.  The rest is trying to find something deeper
that just isn't there.

>We also sent a letter to Borders asking them to remove the magazine from
>their shelves.

Great.  Now we're really upset.  Did you also tell them to remove the Far
Side books?  If not YOU are doing a disservice to ferrets by singling out
the only magazine really for and by ferret owners without pointing out that
its merely that your sense of humor doesn't match a large portion of the
publics.  Don't forget anything about Penn and Teller's books.  Heck, even
all the old Warner cartoon characters that spend most of their time
'killing' each other.  And please not forget the classics.  Jonathan Swift
wrote an essay calling on the wealthy to eat the poor Irish afterall.  So
get rid of your copies of Gulliver's Travels.  You are telling Border's to
grant you censorship powers.

>There are many good and knowledgeable people on this list as well as
>ferret organizations from whom you can gain a wealth of knowledge.

You ought to realize you are predisposing a bunch of the more noted posters
on this list by attacking viciously a magazine and issue of that magazine
that several of us have already said we found funny.  Well some folks tell
us we are knowledgeable and helpful but we aren't happy with you right now.

If you had left it at "we didn't think it was funny" there is nothing we
would have or could have said other than "we did".

>Am I taking this MF #24 thing too far?

Yes.  Definitely.

>Dennis
>http://www.erols.com/ferritz

We went to your site to see how much you were doing to the "welfare,
legalization, promotion and protection" of ferrets.  If we were to tell you
we found it offensive should we call Erols and tell them we want it removed
from their servers?

Seriously, we do not like the whole concept of Rainbow Bridge but we do not
actively work to make everyone who mentions it bend to our sensibilities.
All the memorium sites to short lived can work just as much against ferret
legalization as the Modern Ferret issue.  Seriously.  Despite little
unenforceable non-legalese as posted on your site.

We fully grant you the right to not have liked a portion of MF issue 24.
We haven't liked everything they've published either.  But please don't
try to spoil it over differences in taste.  Not a lack of taste.  Merely
differences.

-bill and diane but derek was too busy watching animals beating each other
up on Cartoon Network...
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets