From:
Carol Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:38:29 -0800
Yes, you are absolutely right ... there are ferrets in shelters that have
not been spayed or neutered - and I adopted one ... the adoption fee was
waived, and I was simply required to provide proof that in fact this little
girl had been spayed at the proper time.

And there are ferrets in shelters that have some major health problems -
and I adopted one - with full knowledge of what I was getting myself into.
Again, the adoption fee was waived, and I was privileged to provide a
loving home for a few short months, to a wonderful little lady that I will
never forget.  I might add, that the shelter also offered to help pay for
some of the expected medical expenses ... so I adopted another one ...
she's elderly, but so far happy and healthy and has the most wonderful
personality.

And yes, there are ferrets in shelters that are mean, and can bite - and I
adopted one, again, with full knowledge of this guy's past biting history.
The shelter he came from worked with him for well over a year to help him
improve his people skills - yes, he can still nip on occasion - but I know
what situations prompt this behavior - and simply try and avoid it.

And lastly - there are many young, healthy, personality-plus ferrets in
shelters - as happy and healthy as any pet store ferret - and I've adopted
a few - back when I was a fairly inexperienced ferret Mom, and was not
comfortable adopting a kid with known health/behavior problems.

A reputable ferret shelter is intimately familiar with all of the ferrets
in their charge, their health problems/behavior problems, and will do their
very best to match people with their adoptable ferrets, through a stringent
screening process ... the main goal being to find permanent homes for these
kids.

So to all of you potential new ferret parents, or inexperienced ones, I
without hesitation would recommend that you consider adoption over
purchasing your ferret from a pet store.  And yes ... I have one pet store
ferret, and he's wonderful, but no more wonderful than those that came from
shelters!

Carol Lyon