From:
Linda Gaylord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:04:43 -0400
Catherine, re: getting a bull mastiff
I don't have a dog that large, but I have 4 fairly big dogs (an Akita, Chow,
Husky and Australian shepherd) They get along fine with the 2 ferrets,
especially the Akita.  She loves to play "mouth" with little Phoebe, who is
very small, less than 2lbs.  ( That's the game where they both open their
mouths as wide as they can and pretend to bite each other) The only problem
occurs when Phoebe hides in a sack or under a rug on the floor.  Then she's
in real danger of being trampled if the doorbell rings or the dogs go
rushing outside to bark at something.  I don't know how you would train a
dog to be aware of something hiding under a rug or in a sack.You just have
to be vigilant.

On another subject, can anyone tell me if butter is bad for ferrets?  My two
have discovered the countertop and butter dish.  They make a beeline for it
at every opportunity.  I give them a small amount (less than 1/2 a tsp) as a
treat since they love it so much, and it IS fat, so perhaps it's even good
for them?  If it's really bad for them I will put it where they can't get to
it, but I've never seen anything on it one way or the other.  Does anyone
know?

Thanks,
Linda