From:
Pam Sessoms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:55:08 -0400
I apologize if this point has already been mentioned, but in my light
skimming today I didn't notice it.  I think that focussing on the dead
ferrets fed to Buckbeak is missing a much bigger issue and a positive
message.

One of the central plots in the latest Harry Potter movie involves
Buckbeak, who is sentenced to death after injuring Malfoy.  Malfoy
behaves foolishly around Buckbeak and is injured as a direct result of
his own stupidity, when he directly contradicts instructions given by
Hagrid, Buckbeak's keeper, on how to treat the animal.  The Authorities
decide that Buckbeak is a vicious, dangerous animal and that he must be
executed.  The plot moves on and is too complicated to explain here,
but the central characters (Harry, Hermione, and Ron) ultimately
decide, after strong hinting from the Headmaster, on an act of civil
disobedience.  They steal Buckbeak away just prior to his execution.
This one decision changes the critical outcome of the rest of the
plot, and Buckbeak carries another falsely-accused soul away from The
Authorities to safety.

Well, I think it's all very interesting and highly relevant to our
oft-villified pets.  I like seeing a movie that contains such strong
lessons in personal responsibility and caretaking of an unusual animal.

I think that this overall plot of the latest Harry Potter movie shows
older children (1) animals must be treated with respect; (2) if you
are hurt by an animal while behaving foolishly around the animal, it is
your own fault and not the animal's; (4) sometimes animals might need
protection from unjust "Authorities."

Best wishes,

-Pam S.